Low Dat Scores, Any Suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CSade469

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My scores were similar, i took them for the first time in 10/24/05, I am planning to retake them, around January 24. I have purchased the Kaplan online, top scorer, and Baron. My question is, do you think that is too late for 2006 cycle? I am applying to Arizona, Pacific, Howard, Detroit Mercy, Creighton, Meharry, VCU, WVA. I have received 2nd app. from Arizona and Creighton, but i'm afraid to send my DAT scores, b/c of fear of rejection. What should i do?

Members don't see this ad.

If you applied this year you need to send those scores immediatly!!!!! If they don't have your DAT scores your application will just sit and any chance will be gone, if it already isn't. When you retake the DAT your old scores will be included with your new ones anyway (they include the last 3 times you took the test and they can see how many times you have taken the test if it happens to be more than 3). There is no way to get around it, the schools will see those scores. If you are worried about it make sure you make the schools aware that you plan to retake the DAT and let them know what date they can expect your scores. I had to reapply this year because I didn't take and send my DAT scores untill the begining of October of last year. I am accepted this year but it would have been nice to already be a D1. If you don't act now you'll be in the same boat as I was.

Dutchboy said:
If you applied this year you need to send those scores immediatly!!!!! If they don't have your DAT scores your application will just sit and any chance will be gone, if it already isn't. When you retake the DAT your old scores will be included with your new ones anyway (they include the last 3 times you took the test and they can see how many times you have taken the test if it happens to be more than 3). There is no way to get around it, the schools will see those scores. If you are worried about it make sure you make the schools aware that you plan to retake the DAT and let them know what date they can expect your scores. I had to reapply this year because I didn't take and send my DAT scores untill the begining of October of last year. I am accepted this year but it would have been nice to already be a D1. If you don't act now you'll be in the same boat as I was.

So your saying there is still hope? From what these hotshots are saying on this site, it seems hopeless. Well what do i have to lose anyway? I better send them those scores and call and tell them i am planning on retaking them. Hey what school did you get an interview with, and what school did you get in? Creighton and Detroit Mercy keeps sending me info telling me they want me to send my scores, but i am sooo scared... Oh one more question, if i don't get in this year, and if i'm reapplying, do i have to collect letters of recommendations again or will they keep those on file?

Thanks for all the advice :)

CSade469 said:
So your saying there is still hope? From what these hotshots are saying on this site, it seems hopeless. Well what do i have to lose anyway? I better send them those scores and call and tell them i am planning on retaking them. Hey what school did you get an interview with, and what school did you get in? Creighton and Detroit Mercy keeps sending me info telling me they want me to send my scores, but i am sooo scared... Oh one more question, if i don't get in this year, and if i'm reapplying, do i have to collect letters of recommendations again or will they keep those on file?

Even with the most steller performance, your chance will be close to nil for this cycle. If you take your new DAT on Jan 24, scores take another 2-3 weeks to get out. So then your application can go under review around Feb 15 which is beyond the deadline for most every school. Your interview would be pushed back another couple months.

Unless your current DAT scores grant you interviews, chances are the new DAT won't have much of an effect for this cycle. On the bright side, if you take it in Jan you can be done with it and have nothing to lose.

Heres a thought, maybe others could chime in. I think that if you tell them you are going to take it again, you will essentially have NO chance of being admitted on your current scores since they will want to see the new scores. I think most everyone will agree that your DAT scores in JAN will be too little too late. Perhaps if you don't tell them you are planning on re-taking it, you can play the odds and see how it goes. Of course you should still plan on retaking the test and applying for next cycle unless you hear good news before your test date.

also, just cause you dont fax your score in doesnt mean the school doesn't get a copy of it from the testing center. If you designated your schools when you registered for the test, they will receive a copy.

Members don't see this ad :)
CSade469 said:
Oh one more question, if i don't get in this year, and if i'm reapplying, do i have to collect letters of recommendations again or will they keep those on file?

You will have to collect the letters again I believe. Might be a good opportunity to use a letter of rec forwarding service if your school provides this.

That is a big gamble that you are taking. For every day that you wait and not send your scores in, the classes at dental schools fill up. But if you send in your bad DAT scores now, you risk being rejected before you can get your new scores in to them. What do you mean your DAT scores are similar? Unless you scored under 18's in EVERY section, it might be okay to keep your scores. Don't pay attention to the stat's of other members of this forum. They only represent a small portion of the applicant pool. What ever you choose to do, good luck. :luck:

Well thank you all for your honest posting. What i meant by my scores were similar to another members posting. My scores are so low they are in the 12 zone. I have never heard of anyone getting into school with a 12, but someone said they got in with like a 14. I went ahead and had the people send my official scores from the first time i took it to the schools. I figured i had nothing to lose, b/c i already paid the AADSAS fees and a couple of secondary appl. fees. I am going to retake the DAT on Jan. 24, so if i don't get into any schools for this cycle (2006), Do i have to recollect letters of recommendation? I don't understand why the committee can't keep those letters b/c i didn't get a copy of them from the professors and dentists who wrote them. So does anyone know if this is true?

CSade469 said:
Well thank you all for your honest posting. What i meant by my scores were similar to another members posting. My scores are so low they are in the 12 zone. I have never heard of anyone getting into school with a 12, but someone said they got in with like a 14. I went ahead and had the people send my official scores from the first time i took it to the schools. I figured i had nothing to lose, b/c i already paid the AADSAS fees and a couple of secondary appl. fees. I am going to retake the DAT on Jan. 24, so if i don't get into any schools for this cycle (2006), Do i have to recollect letters of recommendation? I don't understand why the committee can't keep those letters b/c i didn't get a copy of them from the professors and dentists who wrote them. So does anyone know if this is true?

Im pretty sure that AADSAS will NOT keep them for you. Your professors probably have them on their computer still so ask them before its too late and they have to re-write them. Good luck on your next round. PM if you need any help with anything in particular with the DAT.