Low Gpa 2.1 international dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilimmm

Reaction score
hi all
I’m international dentist with low gpa 2.1, passed nbde1 with one year dental assistant experience. R there any chances to get in a dental school?

Members don't see this ad.

hi all
I’m international dentist with low gpa 2.1, passed nbde1 with one year dental assistant experience. R there any chances to get in a dental school?
Where are you from?

Are you serious? How do you expect to go through the rigorous curriculum? If you fail the school you will be in a significant debt without much chances to pay it off.
Apply to hygiene school. Easier and cheaper

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
hi all
Yes you have a chance...Do not let any pessimist deter you or your dreams here. The dentist I work as a DA in his clinic here in Texas is a FTD that attended a top school on the east coast, 2.2 GPA and graduated with great grades, currently has 3 clinics here. You can do a Masters, get more experience as a DA, get involved in research and publications, ace your TOEFL, get your boards in one attempt, preceptorship, great SOP and volunteering will take you a long way. I have a 2.56 GPA myself but I have a MPH with a 4.0 GPA, a dental assistant and 100+toefl, 1 research and so far this cycle got two interviews that I am waiting for results on. So don't let anybody tell you otherwise. It is very possible to get in. ECE just brandishes numbers and many times do not understand that grading across schools vary not to talk of different countries and does not in any way determine whether you will be successful or not. I have some friends with 3.7+ GPA from certain countries that took NBDE several times before passing it, while I took mine just once while working full time and going to school and passed once. So again, listen to your inner mind and do what is good for you and your family!

Reactions: 10 users
hi all
Hello!
Could you tell me from where did you convert your grades from your home country to the US grading system to calculate your GPA accurate? is it from Scholaro Grade Conversion ? Also which is you country and what was the most common grade in your diploma?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Yes you have a chance...Do not let any pessimist deter you or your dreams here. The dentist I work as a DA in his clinic here in Texas is a FTD that attended a top school on the east coast, 2.2 GPA and graduated with great grades, currently has 3 clinics here. You can do a Masters, get more experience as a DA, get involved in research and publications, ace your TOEFL, get your boards in one attempt, preceptorship, great SOP and volunteering will take you a long way. I have a 2.56 GPA myself but I have a MPH with a 4.0 GPA, a dental assistant and 100+toefl, 1 research and so far this cycle got two interviews that I am waiting for results on. So don't let anybody tell you otherwise. It is very possible to get in. ECE just brandishes numbers and many times do not understand that grading across schools vary not to talk of different countries and does not in any way determine whether you will be successful or not. I have some friends with 3.7+ GPA from certain countries that took NBDE several times before passing it, while I took mine just once while working full time and going to school and passed once. So again, listen to your inner mind and do what is good for you and your family!

It took me a long time to figure this out. And now Ive read your commit which confirmed my theory, Thank you

hi all
It doesn't matter. If you now someone in any program, it will be easier.
Don't give up and keep working on your resume and you will get it.

Are you serious? How do you expect to go through the rigorous curriculum? If you fail the school you will be in a significant debt without much chances to pay it off.
Apply to hygiene school. Easier and cheaper
if you said the requirements are harder, it's understandable. Many countries have the same curriculum of the US schools, and you can ask and search.

Hello,
I have no experience in USA and have given all exams and have 1.5years experience from my home country, GPA 2.9, I also have a gap of 2 years in my CV due to personal reasons could not do job, should I apply for this cycle or gain some experience as A Dental Assistant first? I have applied to many DA jobs but no luck yet. Also is this a okay profile to apply to Masters program in prosthodontics here?