Low GPA and applying to pharmacy school. Advice and Experiences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beatrocka

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to this site, and I am happy that I can talk and ask for advice here.

I'm in my senior year at a 4 year college and plan on going to Pharmacy school next year.

I have a GPA <3.0, and I'm taking some classes over, like Orgo 1, Public Speaking, and I'm also taking more classes to up my GPA

I've been a certified pharmacy technician for about 4-5 years now, and I plan on taking my pcat's mid this year.

I'm curious if anyone on here has been in a situation similar to mine, or if anyone can give any advice. I'm open to thoughts and suggestions, especially to current students.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

boost mainly ur prereq and try to do something special. Hopefully you have a nice personal statement also. You should try switching this to the normal prepharm room, ull get more advice over there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was recently accepted into Pharmacy school. I had a 3.5 GPA for my prereqs, but I didn't have my Bachelor's degree. I believe what gave me the edge was my personal statement. I had expressed how hard I worked to achieve the grades, my circumstances growing up, and my life experiences. Just be honest to them, and express how passionate you are in your endeavors. Trust me, I wasn't expecting to be even granted an interview, but I took full advantage when it presented itself. On a final note, make sure you do well in Organic chemistry. My school was waiting to see how well I had performed in the course. Good luck.

Yea my pharmacist told me that you wont even use that much O chem in pharmacy, but they want to see how well you do on it because it tests ur analytical skills. Im in the same situation as you right now so i know how it feels. It's a tough road but if we keep trying, we will get in.

I was recently accepted into Pharmacy school. I had a 3.5 GPA for my prereqs, but I didn't have my Bachelor's degree. I believe what gave me the edge was my personal statement. I had expressed how hard I worked to achieve the grades, my circumstances growing up, and my life experiences. Just be honest to them, and express how passionate you are in your endeavors. Trust me, I wasn't expecting to be even granted an interview, but I took full advantage when it presented itself. On a final note, make sure you do well in Organic chemistry. My school was waiting to see how well I had performed in the course. Good luck.

May I ask what your other stats are (PCAT, experience, etc.)?

1. At least 80+ PCAT. This is doable.
2. Repeat courses.
3. Earn As in repeat courses. Anything less in unsatisfactory.
4. Pursue other interests in the meantime, through work & volunteer commitments.

I had a 2.88 GPA and scored a 78 on my PCAT. After being rejected, I went to grad school and worked towards my Master's degree in biology. I had a 3.67 GPA in grad school. I showed a good amount of improvement and did great in my interviews. I recently got accepted to pharmacy school! It can be done, granted it was the third time I was applying to multiple schools

3.5 really isn't a low gpa... its right about average for most schools... lol and if it is low then I'm screwed!!!

2.62 cum GPA, 91st overall on PCAT (1st time), and my GPA over the past year is 3.75 after taking Organic 1 & 2, Biochem & Economics. Worked as a pharm tech in retail for 6 years, hospital now for 3, have lots of EC's, volunteer, etc. If you want to improve your chances, make everything else so outstanding that your GPA is the only weak spot. Sometimes that's enough to get you in (like me!).

Reactions: 1 user
but what if its the opposite? like a 3.8 GPA in sci and 3.2 cumliative but no pharmacy experience but plenty of volunteer experience?

Hello,

I'm in my senior year at a 4 year college and plan on going to Pharmacy school next year.

I have a GPA <3.0, and I'm taking some classes over, like Orgo 1, Public Speaking, and I'm also taking more classes to up my GPA

I've been a certified pharmacy technician for about 4-5 years now, and I plan on taking my pcat's mid this year.

I'm curious if anyone on here has been in a situation similar to mine, or if anyone can give any advice. I'm open to thoughts and suggestions, especially to current students.

Thanks.

I assume you are not going to pharmacy school next year...you are talking about the fall 2010 entering class, correct?

Because if you haven't taken your PCAT yet, schools will not take the PCAT score for this (fall 2009) cycle.

You need a great PCAT. Did you do any extracurricular activities?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

Thanks.

I'm sure you could find my Low GPA story somewhere on this site. But I had about a 2.8 when I applied to pharmacy school. No pharmacy techinican experience, but with a BS in Biology. PCAT score was an 85. If you saw my transcript, you would've seen a whole year's full of D's and F's. And worked hard to bring my GPA from a 2.4 to a 2.8, which took me about 3-4 years after my 3rd year of undergrad.

I suggest that you finish your degree if you can. And try to do well on your PCAT.

And another piece of advice, don't let anyone tell you that you can't make it. I've met a few undergrad advisors that I shouldn't have persisted in pursuing pharmacy because of my 2.4 GPA, but I still did. Worked hard for those few years to bring up my GPA and I made it. :)

As Farmer83 pointed out.

The fastest way to get into pharmacy school with a low GPA is to:

score above 80 on PCAT composite

or you're stuck spending the next 1-2 (maybe more) years of your life trying to bring up your GPA.

story of my life...wait..what life!? :p

As Farmer83 pointed out.

The fastest way to get into pharmacy school with a low GPA is to:

score above 80 on PCAT composite

or you're stuck spending the next 1-2 (maybe more) years of your life trying to bring up your GPA.

story of my life...wait..what life!? :p

And the California residents? :confused:

i'm re-taking public speaking to make full use of the max amount of credits i can take a semester (18)

What classes should I take before making time to study for the PCAT? I'm planning on studying the PCAT over the summer but I've only taken Cal 1(repeated)&2, Chem1(repeated) & 2, Orgo 1(repeated), Bio1&2. Is this enough to go ahead and start studying for the PCAT? I also know there is micro, biochem, anat&physio, statistics, etc. on the PCAT. Could all of what I need from a PCAT study guide like Kaplan?

I don't really have any ec's
maybe some church activities and a summer program like 3 years ago, that's about it....
any suggestions?

thanks, that's what I needed to hear.
Though I regret not working harder when I had the chance, I'm encouraged not to give up.
I'm looking for the post you're talking about now...

3.5 really isn't a low gpa... its right about average for most schools... lol and if it is low then I'm screwed!!!

Sorry I don't mean to discourage you, but I was discouraged seeing 3.8's from other applicants. Not only that, they held other credentials such as: degrees, experience, volunteer, and etc.... I was just trying to point out that GPA's aren't all that matters. If you are granted an interview, do your best in proving to the committee how different you are from such a competitive applicant pool. I was accepted on the spot at the interview; I didn't have to wait 2 weeks for an answer. Just be yourself and try not to feed them any BS. That's what worked for me.

but what if its the opposite? like a 3.8 GPA in sci and 3.2 cumliative but no pharmacy experience but plenty of volunteer experience?

Usually, the GPA is the thing they care about the most, so a high GPA will likely get you an interview, however they would pick an applicant with ECs and a similar GPA over you.

For the original poster, I had a 3.1(Non PharmCAS GPA) and a 2.9 PharmCAS GPA, I got a 73 Overall on the PCAT with a high Bio score, pharm experience, volunteering, etc. I think the personal statement was my strongest point and I got in.

In my last semester before starting pharmacy school, I took high level Biology courses and did well in them.

Usually, the GPA is the thing they care about the most, so a high GPA will likely get you an interview, however they would pick an applicant with ECs and a similar GPA over you.

For the original poster, I had a 3.1(Non PharmCAS GPA) and a 2.9 PharmCAS GPA, I got a 73 Overall on the PCAT with a high Bio score, pharm experience, volunteering, etc. I think the personal statement was my strongest point and I got in.

In my last semester before starting pharmacy school, I took high level Biology courses and did well in them.

well i am testing for my pharm tech cert this month so i hope i pass!
But yeah high science gpa, alot of volunteer, active leadership role, and soon to have pharm experience wont get me in?

just curious....

OP, its really good your taking classes over, i think that will definitely brightin your chances, but sometimes a school is unpredictable on who gets in, so don't ever give up hope

Hey guys,
I am taking my PCATs this July and I am confident about getting more then 70 on it. My current GPA is around 2.95 and I am confident enough to get it up to 2.98 or 3 at least by next semester. I work as a pharm tech from past 3 years....Though my science and math GPA is more then 3.5 but I am still worried about getting in the pharm school.... Has anyone been in this situation before? Any advise or guidance......

Hey guys,
I am taking my PCATs this July and I am confident about getting more then 70 on it. My current GPA is around 2.95 and I am confident enough to get it up to 2.98 or 3 at least by next semester. I work as a pharm tech from past 3 years....Though my science and math GPA is more then 3.5 but I am still worried about getting in the pharm school.... Has anyone been in this situation before? Any advise or guidance......

Get your PCAT high above the 70s. You wouldn't stand a chance with that GPA and a 70 PCAT. You'd do best if you can score in the 90s. Get your GPA above a 3.00 so you're not below the cutoff for most schools (typically a 3.0).

thanks....I don't know but do they look at the GPA that is just before applying or is it okay if I can bring it more then 3.0 at the end of this third year, because I still have my third year before starting my pharmacy school career? I am just a little panic about it.... and as I said my science GPA is far above the expected it's just those stupid Gen. Ed. Courses that threw me off. also I did not even retook any course specially any science course..... so I don't know I am just worried... confused...nervous... all together.....

Last edited:
Hi, I have a really low gpa and pcat score. My gpa is 3.12 and pcat is 25th percentile. I do not have any pharmacy experience. I only have some research and hospital voluntary experience and I am currently an intern at FDA. Do you think I have any chance of getting in any pharmacy school for fall 2017?

Hi, I have a really low gpa and pcat score. My gpa is 3.12 and pcat is 25th percentile. I do not have any pharmacy experience. I only have some research and hospital voluntary experience and I am currently an intern at FDA. Do you think I have any chance of getting in any pharmacy school for fall 2017?

How is your pcat score so low ?! You need to be studying every day (bits of each section daily) in order to retain all the information from all the different subjects.. People with gpas of 3.0+ usually at least get a pcat score of 60+ percentile, so if I were in your shoes, I would retake the PCAT til you can get at least 60 percentile ...

How is your pcat score so low ?! You need to be studying every day (bits of each section daily) in order to retain all the information from all the different subjects.. People with gpas of 3.0+ usually at least get a pcat score of 60+ percentile, so if I were in your shoes, I would retake the PCAT til you can get at least 60 percentile ...[/QUOTE
The reason is I did not have enough time studying for pcat. I am going to take it again this January. I forgot to mention I am going to have my bachelor's degree in pharmaceutical sciences at the end of spring 2017. Do you think it will be a plus point to get in?

Bring your PCAT up and get some actual pharmacy experience, particularly in a retail setting would be in your best interests. However, to answer your question, just APPLY if you have the $$ to pay for the pharmcas/supplemental application fees. There have been people thag were accepted with those scores in the past, rarely, but it does happen.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

2.62 cum GPA, 91st overall on PCAT (1st time), and my GPA over the past year is 3.75 after taking Organic 1 & 2, Biochem & Economics. Worked as a pharm tech in retail for 6 years, hospital now for 3, have lots of EC's, volunteer, etc. If you want to improve your chances, make everything else so outstanding that your GPA is the only weak spot. Sometimes that's enough to get you in (like me!).
how did you get a hospital job

I have a cumulative gpa of 3.214 and i have over 1000 hours of volunteer experience at the hospitals, I haven't taken the pcat yet. If i make a high score on pcat, will that be enough to get me into to pharmacy school?

Reactions: 1 users
I have a cumulative gpa of 3.214 and i have over 1000 hours of volunteer experience at the hospitals, I haven't taken the pcat yet. If i make a high score on pcat, will that be enough to get me into to pharmacy school?
Yes it will. Work at a pharmacy to and you should be just fine