low gpa and average dat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MS Janis

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My stats are low~average: GPA 3.36 and DAT AA 20/ PAT 21.
Do I have a chance at dental school? And how about NYU, BU, or Tufts?
Please give me any advice. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

You have a chance. Whether it's a high or low chance depends on the other aspects of your application. Other people have gotten in with lower stats at said schools.

By the way, those are really expensive schools. If you get in, I hope you have a plan to pay for your education.

Both your gpa and dat are well below the average…try harder.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mike, don't bother replying if A.) you have nothing constructive to offer and B.) you're wrong. OP's GPA is not WAY below the average, nor are their DAT scores... Reading back at your post history leads me to conclude that you've been randomly trolling threads for the last two years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Mike, don't both replying if A.) you have nothing constructive to offer and B.) you're wrong. OP's GPA is not WAY below the average, nor are their DAT scores... Reading back at your post history leads me to conclude that you've been randomly trolling threads for the last two years.
Don't like the post so it's got to be trolling……….

So, instead of trying harder the op should just do nothing and expect an acceptance to the dental school of their choice…….

I have a 3.4 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA and a 21AA/21TS. I had 1 pre-December interview and 1 acceptance, so it's definitely possible. Apply early and broadly. I would also try and get as much volunteering/shadowing as possible.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't like the post so it's got to be trolling……….

So, instead of trying harder the op should just do nothing and expect an acceptance to the dental school of their choice…….

The OP didn't ask you about whether they needed to try harder or not... The question was regarding three specific schools and whether anyone thought OP might have a chance at gaining admission to one or more of them. BU for instance accepts an average GPA of 3.2 - 3.3 and ~19 on the DAT.

Not only did you fail to answer the question, but your remark was a complete waste of space. Now everyone who reads this thread in the future will have to skip your response because it not only fails to address the question, but it's absolutely wrong and discouraging to people who actually do have a decent chance at gaining acceptance with similar stats. OP's GPA and DAT scores are not "WAY" low as you characterized them. You would have done SDN and the internet a favor by NOT commenting at all.

PS- Your history of posts (which are similarly vacuous and lacking in substance) suggest that you have a history of trolling. Does the world need two dozen anti-Meharry / anti-Howard posts peppered with snide remarks telling people to give up? Do you get off on crushing people's dreams or something?

Sorry to derail your thread OP.

Last edited:

You def have a chance! Try and raise the GPA but you're DAT is right on and build your EC's. Youll be just fine. Don't listen to mike, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

The OP didn't ask you about whether they needed to try harder or not... The question was regarding three specific schools and whether anyone thought OP might have a chance at gaining admission to one or more of them. BU for instance accepts an average GPA of 3.2 - 3.3 and ~19 on the DAT.

Not only did you fail to answer the question, but your remark was a complete waste of space. Now everyone who reads this thread in the future will have to skip your response because it not only fails to address the question, but it's absolutely wrong and discouraging to people who actually do have a decent chance at gaining acceptance with similar stats. OP's GPA and DAT scores are not "WAY" low as you characterized them. You would have done SDN and the internet a favor by NOT commenting at all.

PS- Your history of posts (which are similarly vacuous and lacking in substance) suggest that you have a history of trolling. Does the world need two dozen anti-Mayherry / anti-Howard posts peppered with snide remarks telling people to give up? Do you get off on crushing people's dreams or something?

Sorry to derail your thread OP.

The world needs my anti meharry/lecom/howard posts as much as this world needs another osteopathic school affiliated dental school…..

The world needs my anti meharry/lecom/howard posts as much as this world needs another osteopathic school affiliated dental school…..

I agree, more osteopathic schools are needed like the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine.

I don't usually mention this but I know someone that was interviewed and accepted with a 3.3 and a C in biochem, taking the DAT twice scoring a 16 AA 14 PAT then 17 AA 13 PAT and was accepted...so anything is possible. I couldn't believe it when she told me on Dec 2nd she got in

I don't usually mention this but I know someone that was interviewed and accepted with a 3.3 and a C in biochem, taking the DAT twice scoring a 16 AA 14 PAT then 17 AA 13 PAT and was accepted...so anything is possible. I couldn't believe it when she told me on Dec 2nd she got in
do you mind telling us which school?