Low GPA, chances of getting into SUNY?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

re.signed

Reaction score
Hi,

I graduated with a BA in Biology from Binghamton University in 2019. I was admitted into my university's 3/4 year Optometry Joint Degree program from high school which meant if I maintained a good GPA and did well on the OAT, I would be able to start my first year of optometry school after 3 years of undergrad. Unfortunately, I was not the best student and struggled often with the science classes and did not prioritize my studies as much as I should have and graduated with a 2.87. However as you can see, I was interested and determined to become an optometrist from high school. Although my GPA is low, I have worked as a receptionist and technician for an optometrist for one summer, shadowed an optometrist, and I am currently working as an ophthalmologist technician/assistant for amazing ophthalmologists who also teach clinicals at NYU. I have been learning a great ordeal about ophthalmology and learning how to engage with patients, how to interpret diagnostic tests, about ocular medications, different procedures and methods to treat different problems and etc.

I plan to take the OAT in April, giving me 5 months to study HARD for the OAT to compensate for my low GPA. I want to aim for 350 and higher, ideally to really compensate for my low GPA. I believe my GPA is not a reflection of my character, diligence, and ability to be a great student, let alone an optometrist. I really want to get into SUNY of Optometry because it is a great school and cost-wise and location-wise, this is the best option.

Additionally, I was the president of my cultural sorority. I was the public relations chair for 2 years for a cultural club on campus. I was also a general member of the optometry club. I was the captain of my varsity volleyball team and handball team in high school (not sure if high school stuff matters anymore).

What are my chances of getting an interview with SUNY, or let alone getting into optometry school in general? Will SUNY completely skip over me considering my GPA? I plan to send in my application right when rolling admissions begin in July to have the best chance as well. I plan to also apply to SALUS, NECO, ICO and Midwestern.

Members don't see this ad.

I was also a part of the SUNY Joint Degree program (starting SUNY next year) and know a few other people in it as well, and they are definitely more lenient with joint degree members especially considering the fact that they saw you were qualified enough based on your high school grades. But that being said you are still held to certain standards and they will still look at your GPA and OAT scores, just with possibly slightly more leniency (esp if you finished in three years instead of four because your classes would be really rushed in that case). If you kill your OAT since it's a standardized test if you do well on it they'll see that you might have just struggled due to the sciences being harder in your school or whatever but also that you actually do know what you're doing in the sciences. If you get above a 350 you have a good chance esp because youre in the program so you already have that heads up! Also when you apply there will be a question on the application where you can explain your academic obstacles and the reason that you did poorly in certain classes. Good luck, you can message me if you have any more questions :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hi sort of similar situation. I have a really low GPA, but went to a school focused on health sciences. I’d love to get into NECO for same reasons you’d like to get into SUNY. I applied last cycle, got rejected, and then applied for a masters program in public health. In regards to my graduate courses, I’m doing much better while having two full time jobs. I also work in as an optometric assistant and have learned so much in a short period of time. I’m honestly scared to apply again because if I get rejected again, I’m not sure if I’d apply a third time :/. Would also like some advice!! But I hope everything works out for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi sort of similar situation. I have a really low GPA, but went to a school focused on health sciences. I’d love to get into NECO for same reasons you’d like to get into SUNY. I applied last cycle, got rejected, and then applied for a masters program in public health. In regards to my graduate courses, I’m doing much better while having two full time jobs. I also work in as an optometric assistant and have learned so much in a short period of time. I’m honestly scared to apply again because if I get rejected again, I’m not sure if I’d apply a third time :/. Would also like some advice!! But I hope everything works out for you!

Thank you. I hope things work out for you too and that you get in the second time around.

Reactions: 1 user
Did they say why you were rejected ?