Low GPA, decent MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GHETTOFLOW21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am currently finishing up a BS in Genetics from a UC, and was wondering if I should try to apply this round or not. I have about a 2.75 right now, with an upward trend, and am currently retaking three classes: organic chemistry I and two prerequisite biology classes, all of which I received C's in, hoping to increase my GPA with grade replacement. I took the MCAT last September and got a 31Q (11/9/11) I have 200 hours of volunteering/internship experience in the Emergency Room, and am about to start shadowing a DO, hoping to get a letter of recommendation. I plan to retake at least three more classes before the application period begins in June during this upcoming quarter. Do you think it would be wise to try and apply if I were able to get my GPA above a 3.0? Or should I try to apply to post-baccleaureate programs and try for it in the 2012 cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

I have about a 2.75 right now...and am currently retaking three classes...
Good plan, but retaking classes will only replace grades for DO schools. MD schools will average the two (indirectly, since they will both contribute to cGPA).

... am about to start shadowing a DO, hoping to get a letter of recommendation.

Easier said than done. It is good that you are shadowing, keep it up. I wouldn't, however, plan on walking in, shadowing for a couple (or a couple dozen at best) hours and asking for a letter of rec. You're supposed to get LoRs from individuals with whom you've shared long term experiences with and can vouch for your intellectual capacity. Generally, shadowing entails you standing quietly in the corner while the doctor does his/her thing, with the occasion chiming in of a question or two.

Do you think it would be wise to try and apply if I were able to get my GPA above a 3.0?
Definitely, though it will not be easy. If you have < 3.0, you will never make it past the computer screening and no matter how stellar your ECs, human eyes will never see your app. Assuming you have ~ 120 credits for a 2.75 upon graduation... if you took another year's worth of classes and aced them all (~30 credits for 4.0), that would put you at exactly a 3.0. Now, since we both know that expecting straight 4s for a year is far-fetched, expect the GPA repair to take a couple years.

Do not be discouraged, though, there are many here on SDN that have been in similar situations and have eventually been accepted somewhere. It can be done, but I suggest that you seriously consider your motivations, realistic expectations, and available resources before you take a swing at this.

Do you think it would be wise to try and apply if I were able to get my GPA above a 3.0? Or should I try to apply to post-baccleaureate programs and try for it in the 2012 cycle?
Could you give us your year by year GPAs? Have you taken any upper-level Bio or Biochem, and if so, what grades did you earn?

Given how applications are up this year, and how competitive DO schools are right now, I'd say that the old rule of thumb that high MCAT overcomes a weak GPA (and vice-versa) is now becoming an urban legend. At our school avg MCATs are around 29, and avg GPAs are around 3.5. That's allopathic school territory, and we're not unique.

Therefore, retake all your C/D/F grades, OR take a post-bac course to show AdComs like mine that you can handle medical school. Oh, and this business of "upward trend" doesn't count for much anymore either.

Hey guys, I am currently finishing up a BS in Genetics from a UC, and was wondering if I should try to apply this round or not. I have about a 2.75 right now, with an upward trend, and am currently retaking three classes: organic chemistry I and two prerequisite biology classes, all of which I received C's in, hoping to increase my GPA with grade replacement. I took the MCAT last September and got a 31Q (11/9/11) I have 200 hours of volunteering/internship experience in the Emergency Room, and am about to start shadowing a DO, hoping to get a letter of recommendation. I plan to retake at least three more classes before the application period begins in June during this upcoming quarter. Do you think it would be wise to try and apply if I were able to get my GPA above a 3.0? Or should I try to apply to post-baccleaureate programs and try for it in the 2012 cycle?