Low GPA. Do I have a chance of getting optometry school or should I give up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blowfishrule

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is going to be long...
So I recently got my grades back and my GPA is really low...around the 3.05 level. I took zoology, cell physiology, astrobiology as well as french and got Bs in cell physiology and zoology and a C in astrobiology because I just didn't like the information and because of that didn't do very well which is my fault. For reference I'm currently a junior. The reason why my gpa is so low is because of a few mess ups in freshman year. Basically I was unmotivated and got bad grades in my core classes. Given my low GPA I don't really think I have a chance of getting into optometry school. For my science classes I mainly got Bs and a few Cs :( I'm taking genetics and O Chem next semester as well as a few other science related classes so I'm thinking if I do good in those classes I'll have a chance? I also plan on taking the OAT in summer 2019. I'm wondering if my extracurriculars will be able to boost my application much? I'm involved in the pre optometry club as well as work at the Science education center at my school. I also volunteered for vision related things as well as animal welfare. I know my grades aren't amazing what I could do if I get rejected. Maybe a masters or post bac? Thanks so much for the help!!

Members don't see this ad.

There are people with 2.8+ that get interviews and even accepted, but you gotta supplement that with a decent OAT score, I'd say aim for 320-400, and not only that but also your optometric experience, maybe you could get a job as an assistant at an office or get some more shadowing hours, shadow multiple doctors. Are you an executive in your preopt club or any club? Try taking on a leadership role. You can definitely get in

Reactions: 1 user
There are people with 2.8+ that get interviews and even accepted, but you gotta supplement that with a decent OAT score, I'd say aim for 320-400, and not only that but also your optometric experience, maybe you could get a job as an assistant at an office or get some more shadowing hours, shadow multiple doctors. Are you an executive in your preopt club or any club? Try taking on a leadership role. You can definitely get in

hi could you please give me some school accepted with GPA 2.8+ with OAT 320 to 340? my is in that range and I am worry about that
thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
go look at the new class of 2023 thread you'll see plenty

hi could you please give me some school accepted with GPA 2.8+ with OAT 320 to 340? my is in that range and I am worry about that
thanks
MCPHS, NECO, ICO, PCO, KYCO to name just a few

Reactions: 1 user
Dude a 3.05 gpa is fine with at least a + 300 OAT score. That’s what I got and had no problems with getting interviews. Have a little faith and give yourself credit for the hard work you have done so far!

Reactions: 2 users