Low GPA, Early Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theMACster1000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I was wondering if applying early in the cycle would really increase my chances of getting accepted. Which schools would be more likely to accept? Do I have any chance with SUNY?
By low GPA, I mean 2.9-3.1.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The newer schools and the school in PR would be the most likely, but even that is unlikely unless your OAT is outstanding. Still, it's possible.

That being said, if your GPA is low you may want to reassess your abilities before spending a fortune on optometry school. If it was due to laziness, just make sure you fix that before getting there. It is both difficult and takes up the vast majority of your time, so give it some thought. Schools do not graduate everyone they accept.

Good luck!

The next cycle doesn't start for another few months, take this time to really focus on your grades and try try to bring up your GPA. That and good OAT scores will really help you get into optometry school.

I had a 3.01 gpa and got accepted to SUNY. I applied end of October with an OAT score of 330 (TS) and 340 (AA). As long as you have an upward trend and great stories from your extracurriculars/shadowing/volunteering, you definitely will be ok! good luck :)