Low GPA get admitted? Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicOSU08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I just wanted to start a thread to help give hope to all of us pre-vet students who will be applying this coming fall.

Personally, I have a not so great GPA, hopefully my GRE will make up for it. Are there any vet students out there who have gotten accepted under the same circumstances? And what were your stats, if you are willing to share? (GPA, GRE, experience, etc.)

Thanks!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

You should check out the Successful Applicant thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all. I just wanted to start a thread to help give hope to all of us pre-vet students who will be applying this coming fall.

Personally, I have a not so great GPA, hopefully my GRE will make up for it. Are there any vet students out there who have gotten accepted under the same circumstances? And what were your stats, if you are willing to share? (GPA, GRE, experience, etc.)

Thanks!!!!!!

What does "not so great" GPA mean? Are we talking 2s or 3s?

I'm applying next year also and am pretty terrified. My GPA is decent, but nothing special and I'm trying to tell myself not to worry too much about it. It seems like unless you are 3.9+ things could go either way depending on the rest of your app and even just luck! A lot of amazing candidates with killer GPAs don't get in to places that some with lower GPAs do. People can definitely get into vet school without a perfect GPA, millions of hours of experience, and a letter from the president.

Depending on whether you're taking classes next year or not you could always try to boost it or get more experience and do well on the GRE (my plan) to stand out more.

We will survive applying to vet school! : )

things could go either way depending on the rest of your app and even just luck!

To be honest, I think that's our (2012 applicants) realization too. We have no idea how adcoms make their decisions, and if someone ever found out, you'd have a TON of buyers for the secret!

Best of luck next year guys!

I'm applying next year also and am pretty terrified. My GPA is decent, but nothing special and I'm trying to tell myself not to worry too much about it. It seems like unless you are 3.9+ things could go either way depending on the rest of your app and even just luck! A lot of amazing candidates with killer GPAs don't get in to places that some with lower GPAs do. People can definitely get into vet school without a perfect GPA, millions of hours of experience, and a letter from the president.

Depending on whether you're taking classes next year or not you could always try to boost it or get more experience and do well on the GRE (my plan) to stand out more.

We will survive applying to vet school! : )

Trust me... even with a 3.9+ things can still go either way! I'm convinced getting into vet school is all pure luck.

I am in the same boat after I graduated with a 3.0. The overall GPA cannot be pulled up quickly, but you can definitely make a lot of progress on your last 45 hours GPA. A year of class and you can basicly have an entirely new last 45 GPA. Also, if you still have pre-reqs left to take, you can make a lot of headroom on your pre-req GPA.

Beyond that you have all the other aspects of the application you can shine in. Experience, GRE, LOR's, personal statement.

I'll be applying this coming application cycle.

Just do research on the schools you apply to. Some schools stress the GRE more than others, some schools prefer one to be older with more experience and have a lower avg. GPA than others. Good luck!