low gpa high mcat acceptances to med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here's my situation: 3.2 undergrad GPA from Hopkins, 3.98 postbacc science, which averages to around 3.4 overall. 33 MCAT. History of clinical depression, which I wrote about in my personal statement. 30 years old.

I have interviewed at Stony Brook, and have yet to interview at Drexel.

My biggest piece of advice would be to apply early. I think I really shot myself in the foot by applying late. I still haven't heard from a lot of schools, but this late in the game, I'm not too hopeful. If you get everything in early, you maximize your chances of getting in somewhere.

Good luck. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by jiy76
cmon guys no fighting we are side stepping the issue with all this he said she said crap. It seems from some of the posts that it is possible to get into a med school with a low gpa and high mcat just not very probable unless you do some extra work like a masters program or volunteering etc. I guess i will have to do maybe a special masters program to get in. I guess i have no prob with it i just hope it doesnt take me forever to get in. Besides all i want to do is get into some place like suny downstate near my hometown its not like i want to go to harvard or hopkins. Any other success stories are welcomed these posts have been a mixed bag

Who's fighting? :confused:

You could also contract an illness instead of volunteering or further education. :laugh:

Slickness: I see what you mean. No, it wasn't ValueMD.com. I'm a regular on a few automotive forums. :p

KarateGirl: Yes, I think that is KEY to anyone applying at a "disadvantage". You should maximize, as much as possible, your chances of gaining acceptance and a good application EARLY may do that for you (from what I've heard). :)