Low gpa, high mcat. Any options in Canada?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plane-definition

Reaction score
So basically, I'm in what looks to be a rare, and extremely terrible situation. Essentially, my cGPA at UofT (University of Toronto) is extremely low (3.1). I had a terrible first year in a specialized math program (like 1.3 terrible), then switched into STEM after taking a gap year. I just didn't take schooling seriously at the time, was going through some stuff. When I came back I started to take things a bit more seriously and got annual GPAs of 3.2, 3.5 and 3.3 for my 1st, 2nd and 3rd years in STEM (1st and 2nd weren't full course loads, since a couple of my classes from my real first year counted towards my new programs). At this point I really lacked any aspirations for the future, really didn't think I wanted to do anything with my degree, and so I never really applied myself. Really kicking myself for this now.

Between my 3rd and 4th year of STEM, I did a summer program with a doctor on a bit of a whim and developed something of a passion for the medical field. It was the first time in my life that I'd found something that I really wanted to do. I came back into 4th year and made a perfect 4.0 on OSMAS scale (90%+ at UofT) in all science courses on a full course load. I then wrote the MCAT and scored a 526 (132/132/131/131).

So my question is, do I have any chance at any Canadian medical schools, or will my application be thrown out before they even look at any aspect of it? and if not, are there any other feasible options for me (outside of the country)?

Members don't see this ad.

Two things: first, your best bet is to seek advice on Premed 101 as that is more Canada-centered (or the premed Canada reddit), if you want advice for what to do in Canada specifically.

Secondly, while your MCAT is amazing, you WILL be screened out nearly immediately by almost every school except Mac Because of your GPA, with some exceptions (although I think you know them). One of these exceptions is Western, provided you have two years with a 3.7. Since one of your years is a 4.0 (awesome!) you might want to do what is called a “special year” as Western calls it. Essentially a 5th year. Head over to their site for details, but bear in mind that it could be costly since OSAP generally won’t cover, but look into it! As I said, Mac won’t screen you out immediately, and since you did GREAT on CARS, you just need to kill casper (tbh, idk how to prep, but you will need to in order to maximize your chances).

In terms of America, there are many topics here that tackle this issue, but just bear in mind that you will have to weigh the monetary costs of this. I wouldn’t necessarily tell you to pursue a different field just yet, but your GPA is holding you down, such that perhaps DO may be your only option in the US even after post-bacc or SMP (which isn’t a problem! Just keep it in mind). I’m not sure if you actually need to do either, so hopefully someone can chime in on pursuing DO. Your MCAT is a great strength. I wish you well!

Two things: first, your best bet is to seek advice on Premed 101 as that is more Canada-centered (or the premed Canada reddit), if you want advice for what to do in Canada specifically.

Secondly, while your MCAT is amazing, you WILL be screened out nearly immediately by almost every school except Mac Because of your GPA, with some exceptions (although I think you know them). One of these exceptions is Western, provided you have two years with a 3.7. Since one of your years is a 4.0 (awesome!) you might want to do what is called a “special year” as Western calls it. Essentially a 5th year. Head over to their site for details, but bear in mind that it could be costly since OSAP generally won’t cover, but look into it! As I said, Mac won’t screen you out immediately, and since you did GREAT on CARS, you just need to kill casper (tbh, idk how to prep, but you will need to in order to maximize your chances).

In terms of America, there are many topics here that tackle this issue, but just bear in mind that you will have to weigh the monetary costs of this. I wouldn’t necessarily tell you to pursue a different field just yet, but your GPA is holding you down, such that perhaps DO may be your only option in the US even after post-bacc or SMP (which isn’t a problem! Just keep it in mind). I’m not sure if you actually need to do either, so hopefully someone can chime in on pursuing DO. Your MCAT is a great strength. I wish you well!
Thanks for the input! Yeah as things stand right now, my only real shot due to cut offs are queens and mac (I don't have two 3.7s as it is so western is a no go). I'm really kicking myself for not having stayed an extra year at university, as I feel that another potential 4.0 year would of given me a competitive application for all of the "best 2 year" schools. I'm trying to figure out if these schools will look at a year of non degree studies the same way as if it were just an additional year.