Low GPA - High MCAT- Wondering best option for post-bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

banzi2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[removed]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Won't look bad by itself; may look bad if you do poorly in your postbac classes.

Only retake classes if you got a C- or below in them; otherwise just supplement with higher level courses.

But @gonnif is probably a better person to listen to regarding specific retaking strategies.

Members don't see this ad :)
Remember that MD schools will average your retakes. Do schools replace.

It won't matter where you do your retakes.

Retake as suggested above, AND take upper level science classes. You need to demonstrate that you can handle med school.

I've finished all my prereqs at a Top 20 school but my sGPA is low (~3.0). I'm planning to retake classes at a lower tier university, will that look bad when I apply?

Should I be retaking classes or taking higher level science courses?

Thanks.

How high an MCAT are we talking and how long do you have before it expires. Also what state are you a resident of

Yes, it will have a negligible negative effect to major negative effect

I know a lot of people who've done informal post baccs at their state schools after graduating from a top tier as it is usually cheaper. I've seen it widely recommended on this forum as well.

@banzi2 I know a lot of people who did what you're proposing and were very successful. Also if you were not a science major in college you have the opportunity to raise your sGPA quite a bit.

I think you should only retake science classes that you received a C- or lower in and then take some higher level science courses.