WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Staff member
Administrator
7+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Won't look bad by itself; may look bad if you do poorly in your postbac classes.

Only retake classes if you got a C- or below in them; otherwise just supplement with higher level courses.

But @gonnif is probably a better person to listen to regarding specific retaking strategies.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Remember that MD schools will average your retakes. Do schools replace.

It won't matter where you do your retakes.

Retake as suggested above, AND take upper level science classes. You need to demonstrate that you can handle med school.

I've finished all my prereqs at a Top 20 school but my sGPA is low (~3.0). I'm planning to retake classes at a lower tier university, will that look bad when I apply?

Should I be retaking classes or taking higher level science courses?

Thanks.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
I've finished all my prereqs at a Top 20 school but my sGPA is low (~3.0).
That's not good
I'm planning to retake classes at a lower tier university, will that look bad when I apply?
Yes, it will have a negligible negative effect to major negative effect
Should I be retaking classes or taking higher level science courses?
That is too simplistic as you need to plan out a new strategy that may take a few to several years. Without knowing your specific background, GPA per term (sGPA &nGPA), and the rest, here are a few ideas to think of this in some general and overlapping ways

@WedgeDawg Thanks for referral . I need the applicant's referral approval and insurance card.

1) DO Direct (aka @Goro): Osteopathic applications via AMCAS will replace all old poor grades (C+ and lower) from retakes of those courses (from any school) and used in GPA calculations. This can be done with Theses schools also are perceived to be more accepting of redemption. It likely presents the best chance at the lowest costs of time, money and effort)

2) Retake on C-: These you need to retake these prerequisite as most medical schools will not accept them. Add to them upper level science courses to increase GPA and show some competency.

3) Go into a formal PostBacc. while this will likely repeat courses, you may need a program with a rigorous reputation and linkages.

4) SMP: This would be the most rigorous to show that you can show that you can handle medical school, though with your current GPA, you are unlikely to get accepted by one.

5) Time: You need time to separate the subpar and immature performance from undergrad to admissions consideration . The worse thing you could do is to jump into a few years of intense academic work without first working out the issues that got you here in the first place.

Assuming most of your academic career is subpar, I would suggest doing a complete or near complete retake from the start working slowly while also trying to accomplish something else successful (employment). You then can add upper level courses as well as EC, and then decide to apply or go further go into SMP. While this is counter intuitive to the general non-retake guidelines for MD application, with an extremely poor background you have to start from the ground up. It isnt simply an academic question you have to overcome but a maturity and judgement question. You have to show that you are no longer that poor undergrad but a mature adult. And you do that with time, academic work, and success in other parts of your life.

Reactions: WedgeDawg

GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member
May 5, 2015
Status
Non-Student
How high an MCAT are we talking and how long do you have before it expires. Also what state are you a resident of

starspells

Membership Revoked
Removed
Dec 28, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Yes, it will have a negligible negative effect to major negative effect
I know a lot of people who've done informal post baccs at their state schools after graduating from a top tier as it is usually cheaper. I've seen it widely recommended on this forum as well.

@banzi2 I know a lot of people who did what you're proposing and were very successful. Also if you were not a science major in college you have the opportunity to raise your sGPA quite a bit.

I think you should only retake science classes that you received a C- or lower in and then take some higher level science courses.