Low GPA issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheNerdiestRedneck

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there guys. I would post this in the 'What are my chances' thread, but I find that when multiple people post stats, plus replies, it can get pretty jumbled. This also will be fairly long because I want to paint a full picture to get some words of wisdom.

I am a junior in college, and I have wanted to be a vet since I was very young. I know that there is more to being a vet other than just loving animals, I understand that the schooling is difficult and expensive, and that the career itself doesn't pay the best, and can have its ups and downs. Over the years I've considered all of these things, and I am still determined that I want to become a vet.

My issue is my undergrad GPA. It is currently at 2.6 at my primary college, though classes I have taken at a community college bring it to about a 2.8. I know that this is pretty bad, trust me, it causes me to have breakdowns on a regular basis. Which brings me to explaining my grades, actually. I have dealt with fairly severe issues with anxiety and depression for about 6 years now, and when I started college, it got much, much worse. I was determined that I could handle it myself, but considering how it has been affecting my grades, I recently got a therapist to see if that could possibly help some. I don't want to use that as an excuse for my grades, but I do recognize that it contributes. My other big problem is chemistry. I was allowed to take a class at the college I attend now when I was a junior in high school, and for some reason they decided to not advise against me taking college level chemistry. Long story short, I got a D in one semester and failed the second (I was determined to try again, which they again didn't advise against). What they didn't tell me was that these classes would count towards my GPA if I attended full-time (the classes were free besides the lab fee, and no indication was made that they counted towards a GPA). So I carried that burden with me as soon as I started college. I then struggled with gen chem again, took it again to get a B, then was able to get B's in two higher level chem courses. I unfortunately got a D in O chem last semester and will be re-taking it in the fall. I just don't seem to have an aptitude for it, and the endless hours I spend trying to do well takes away from my biology classes, so I end up getting C+/B- range in those. I will probably be able to get my GPA to a 3.0 by the time I graduate, but I doubt I'll be able to get it higher than that.

Due to all of this, I have decided to take off probably 4ish years before applying to vet school. I'm going to take a couple of my pre-reqs after I graduate (to try and focus more on doing well in my remaining biology courses), take a few animal science courses since my college doesn't offer any but entomology and marine biology, and be able to take my time studying hard for the GRE. I also want to take this time off because I just simply need a break, and I want to try to get my mental health issues to a more manageable level before adding the pressure of vet school. I will also obviously work and try to get some varied experiences to help with my application. I have also considered doing a Master's in something, but honestly doing that would put me way more in debt than I can handle, especially since I will be paying off all of my loans by myself (and I go to a private college, so, yikes).

A rough summary of my stats thus far:

Cumulative GPA: ~2.8

Not going to bother calculating last 45 or science GPA's until I'm done with most of my classes

Animal experience:

So far 2000 hours as an assistant at a small animal/exotic animal hospital

5 hours as an assistant at a non-profit, low cost clinic (I just started here this week, I'll be working at both hospitals for a while)

150 hours internship at an equine clinic. Plan on doing another internship next J-term, hopefully at a zoo or with a livestock vet

~20 hours shadowing a livestock vet

~40 hours taking care of lab mice for professors in the biology department

I also grew up on a farm with a large variety of animals, rode horses, raised and showed livestock for 6 years with 4-H, and have been petsitting for people for 10 years. I would like to do Agvocacy work in my county once I graduate, too.

Other work experience:

Worked at an independently owned pet store for 3 years

Currently work as an office assistant for the secretary for the STEM departments

Other things:

Vice President of Fellowship for two semesters for a chapter of Alpha Phi Omega, a co-ed service fraternity

Member of Pre-Health Society

~40 hours doing research with one of my professors. I plan to continue doing this and will probably have ~200 hours by the time I graduate

I dunno if they care about things you did quite a while ago, but I have won a few art related competitions, and I self-published two books when I was 14 (haven't had time to continue, unfortunately).

So what do ya'll think? Thoughts? Words of wisdom?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thoughts. .. post in the what are my chances thread. Include all of your GPAs when you do. That thread is intended for this type of post.

Reactions: 1 user
Also if you get skipped over there, there's no shame in posting again. I've had to post my stats three times before.

Reactions: 1 users
You could always try applying to a vet school outside of the US (I am making an assumption that you are in the US, please correct me if I am wrong). There are fully avma accredited veterinary schools in the Caribbean that are easier to get into. They also tend to have a pre-vet semester that helps set you up for success if your previous coursework needs improvement. Then after that as long as you pass the courses you are matriculated into vet school. The main schools I know of that fit this criteria are Ross and St. George's. You would have to be ok with living far away from home on an island, but if you want nothing more than to be a vet they may give you a chance. I was in a similar place to you and am leaving for school in May. I didn't have the best GPA in the world due to health obstacles and working too much but I had over 5500 hours of experience in a veterinary clinic among other things. They are more apt to look at you as a whole person vs just a few numbers. You will however have to explain your grades to them in an interview. It sure doesn't hurt to at least give it a shot if it is truly what you want to do.

Reactions: 1 users