low gpa, low mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopef

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm very new to this and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

3.3 overall /3.1 science
MCAT: 23M (i know this is very bad)
Major: psychology

I'm re-taking the MCAT on July 30 but I want to start applying in June. Is this a good idea? I'm pretty sure that I will do better than a 23. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

It's "okay" to apply in June first with 1 school just so your application can be verified, and then depending on what your MCAT score turns out to be, you can add additional schools after that.

But I just want to make sure you're aware that taking the MCAT in late July will mean that your application won't be looked at until probably September at the earliest after your MCAT score comes in and you start receiving/turning in your secondaries? With most schools operating under rolling admissions, that means your application is going to be at the bottom of a huge pile. Given the fact that your GPA is pretty low, a late application can really hurt your chances even if you score well enough to offset that GPA a bit (34+). Do you at least have a steep upward trend in the GPA? Any stand-out extracurriculars or research? Disadvantaged or URM status?

Are you applying to DO as well? I would encourage you to do so.

Last edited:
I see little possibility for success from an application which is below average submitted relatively late. There would have to be a remarkable story behind it if it were to get a second look, and even then... unlikely.

Without a more than 10 point increase in MCAT, I don't see a point in submitting an application this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd suggest some additional time raising the GPA with some upper-level Bio coursework before application, or at least establishing a steep upward grade trend. Even if you get a 34 MCAT to offset the low cGPA, your low BCPM will give adcomms pause, as they want to see evidence you'll do well in a heavy-science curriculum.

If you feel there are modifying factors that would effect your application, please let us know so we can bettr advise you.

If you are still in school or just finished, try to take a 5th year of upper-level bio courses like was suggested above.

If you are a year out or over, retake the MCAT and look into the Post-bacc forum for some GPA-enhancers, or retake the MCAT and look into DO programs, though you are still kind of low for many DO schools and would have to do some GPA repair work I believe.

If I do apply to DO schools, my gpa would change to a 3.4 overall/ 3.3 science. I don't know if this helps though. Thank you guys for the replies though.

I think I'll just apply to a few schools since I received FAP assistance this year. I'll re-take the MCAT and look into post-bacc or SMP's if my MCAT score reaches a high enough score. Thanks again guys.

If I do apply to DO schools, my gpa would change to a 3.4 overall/ 3.3 science. I don't know if this helps though. Thank you guys for the replies though.
It helps a lot, as the average DO acceptee has a cGPA of 3.45. You'd be in good shape for a potential acceptance with an MCAT score of 26+ (average is 25.5).

It helps a lot, as the average DO acceptee has a cGPA of 3.45. You'd be in good shape for a potential acceptance with an MCAT score of 26+ (average is 25.5).

Thanks Catalystik for your advice. I'm going to apply to DO schools now.

Hi,

I'm new to posting on this site and I'm actually in the same boat as hopef. I have a similar GPA (roughly around 3.2 for science and 3.3 cummulative). I just sat for the MCAT today and already planning on retaking ASAP (hopefully early July). I haven't been scoring that great on the practice exams, somewhere around the lower 20's, and not feeling super confident about the exam I took today.

The only difference is that I'm working on my MS in biology, and will be done in the summer this year. I've taken a year of post-bacc courses (all science courses) after undergrad before the master's program, I have good ECs, LORs, etc. I've seen posts about admissions not looking at graduate GPAs, etc., but not sure what to make of it. Although they may not consider graduate level GPAs, having done something like a master's counts for something, right?:confused:

My plan was to apply this year, as early as possible, but now that I feel my application package isn't as 'good' as I'd thought it'd be. Was considering only applying to MD programs, but seems like I might not have a chance. Probably not even with DO programs.

Any advice would be truly appreciated. Just feeling discouraged and really don't want to wait another year to apply. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm new to posting on this site and I'm actually in the same boat as hopef. I have a similar GPA (roughly around 3.2 for science and 3.3 cummulative). I just sat for the MCAT today and already planning on retaking ASAP (hopefully early July). I haven't been scoring that great on the practice exams, somewhere around the lower 20's, and not feeling super confident about the exam I took today.

The only difference is that I'm working on my MS in biology, and will be done in the summer this year. I've taken a year of post-bacc courses (all science courses) after undergrad before the master's program, I have good ECs, LORs, etc. I've seen posts about admissions not looking at graduate GPAs, etc., but not sure what to make of it. Although they may not consider graduate level GPAs....having done something like a master's counts for something, right?:confused:

My plan was to apply this year, as early as possible, but now that I feel my application package isn't as 'good' as I'd thought it'd be. Was considering only applying to MD programs, but seems like I might not have a chance. Probably not even with DO programs...

Any advice would be truly appreciated. Just feeling discouraged and really don't want to wait another year to apply. Thanks!

two things
first, you are most likely going to have to wait another year since you are not confident about you mcat... suck it up, most matriculants aren't 22
second, i don't understand why you didn't void your mcat if you didn't feel confident about it

Please , illd love to hear from actual medical school students or people who have gone through this...

Really depressed right now and i dont know what to do:(. Just got my second mcat scores back and they were pitifull espeacially after 6 months of studying.. i have no idea how else to study for this exam and i really dont want to take it a 3rd time.

Educational Info: Biology major, cgpa 3.5, scigpa 3.7

Stats
1st try: 16N... B7,P6,V3
BTW: I was offered a merp position in Ross u with this score but didn't accept it.
2nd try: 18Q...B5,P6,V7.
I also have a crap load of EC's

Ive been doing a lot of thinking and here is what i have come up with
1. Apply to 8 low tier allopathic US schools.. with some major faith..
2. Apply to 6 osteopathic schools.. Also with some major faith..
3. Apply to SGU and AUC.. Faith required..
4. Do a accelarated BSN somewhere
5. Apply for a PA somewhere

Note: number 4 and 5 are my absolute last resort but i dont know if they make any sense because i have no interest in becoming anything else but an MD or DO. The only reason i am even considering is because i think they might help with my application in the future.

I am burnt outta ideas and sick of staying home. Really need help and advise.

Thank you

Please , illd love to hear from actual medical school students or people who have gone through this...

Really depressed right now and i dont know what to do:(. Just got my second mcat scores back and they were pitifull espeacially after 6 months of studying.. i have no idea how else to study for this exam and i really dont want to take it a 3rd time.

Educational Info: Biology major, cgpa 3.5, scigpa 3.7

Stats
1st try: 16N... B7,P6,V3
BTW: I was offered a merp position in Ross u with this score but didn't accept it.
2nd try: 18Q...B5,P6,V7.
I also have a crap load of EC's

Ive been doing a lot of thinking and here is what i have come up with
1. Apply to 8 low tier allopathic US schools.. with some major faith..
2. Apply to 6 osteopathic schools.. Also with some major faith..
3. Apply to SGU and AUC.. Faith required..
4. Do a accelarated BSN somewhere
5. Apply for a PA somewhere

Note: number 4 and 5 are my absolute last resort but i dont know if they make any sense because i have no interest in becoming anything else but an MD or DO. The only reason i am even considering is because i think they might help with my application in the future.

I am burnt outta ideas and sick of staying home. Really need help and advise.

Thank you
Seven identical posts are frowned on by the mods (and three are in WAMC). Please don't post a complex question on someone else's thread.

I do apologise. I am just really looking for answers plus i am new to SDN.. Please forgive my mistake.. I have started a new thread hopefully i get a response.