low GPA... pharmacy school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

linaxo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently going in to my sr. year.
I've had hard time in school due to family issues.
Currently I have a GPA of 2.7356 (cumulative, non pharmcas just my university)..
I re-took Pre-calc and chemistry I & II (total of takes 3 in each course).
I took Chem I at a community college getting a C, taking it at my university with a C- & again with a B.
I failed my Chem II & Calc at community college (only went there for summer classes to transfer credits to my own university). The rest of my grades are good nothing lower than a C-. Just those 3 classes. Will my PCAT that I'm taking in November help me? I am getting an LOR from my PIC, Director of Operations at a major hospital here, and also my Dean of Biology. I volunteer at the ER and work as a pharm tech for over a year. Also I am in Tri Beta (Biology Society).
Where should I apply? Or should I even bother? Help would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
take the PCAT and come back to us.

75-99 decent/good chance
50-74 maybe
<50 hard but not impossible

Reactions: 1 users
take the PCAT and come back to us.

75-99 decent/good chance
50-74 maybe
<50 hard but not impossible
Okay thanks, any tips on how to study for it? I've been going crazy.

Members don't see this ad :)
PCAT > 90 youll get into good schools. Get some leadership experience if possible. Then you're all set.

Study dr. collins.

I had a 3.0GPA, 2.75 Science GPA, and an 80th percentile PCAT and got into a top 15 school. It's very possible, but you need to keep up your extracurriculars. I also interned at a pharmacy each summer for 4 years, was on leadership board for my Vietnamese Student Association, and worked as a RA for 4 years. It balanced out pretty well in their eyes. If one area is weak, you just need to supplement it in other areas.

Which school if you don't mind me asking. I'm in the same boat right now and need help.

Just curious
What makes you think you can succeed in pharmacy school?
You took Chemistry I 3 times and still couldn't get an A....

Reactions: 1 users
2.65 cGPA (3.92 GPA at my most recent school where I recieved my B.S. In Biochemistry)
98 composite PCAT (99 Bio 98 Chem)
9100 hrs retail Pharmacy experience (most as lead technician)
LOR from 3 Pharmacists and the head of the Chemistry and Physics dept

Screwed up early when I was 18 blah blah... Will my experience and PCAT score overcome the crap cGPA

2.65 cGPA (3.92 GPA at my most recent school where I recieved my B.S. In Biochemistry)
98 composite PCAT (99 Bio 98 Chem)
9100 hrs retail Pharmacy experience (most as lead technician)
LOR from 3 Pharmacists and the head of the Chemistry and Physics dept

Screwed up early when I was 18 blah blah... Will my experience and PCAT score overcome the crap cGPA

Yes, your PCAT score is pretty awesome and so do your current GPA. Great LOR and experience, you should be good as far you apply more schools..

first, here are my stats:
cum. gpa 2.98, science is~2.8
pcat 50s
worked in a hospital pharmacy~1 year
applied to 11 schools (few top rank schools like uic, a few newly accredited schools) and got all 11interviews.
---------------

you are probably studying incorrectly. my situation was similar to yours but then i learned how to study better and now im doing great (mostly A's and 1-2 B's in the past year). everyone has a different learning style. i was struggling with science courses mostly but i finally figured out that i was studying it all wrong.

here is my story (up-to-date). long story short. i graduated with a b.s with a gpa ~2.5/4. after getting some good advices from a mentor, i took two years off to enroll in a post-bacc program (basically taking science/math courses, also repeating some classes at a community school) to improve my gpa. at the same time, i worked in a pharmacy. i was able to improve my overall cum. gpa to 2.9 at the time i applied.
i applied early (a few days when pharmcas was available) to 11 schools nationwide (ranging from newly accredited schools like rosalind to top rank schools like uic). not expecting this but i got 11 interviews (including uic)! however, since i cant afford all the traveling expenses etc, i narrowed them down to schools i can see myself going. after getting accepted to one of my top choice schools, i denied the interview offers from 6 other schools. out of 4 interviews i went to so far, 3 schools accepted me and 1 school put me on waitlist. i still have one more interview to go (another top choice). anyway, if you really want it, work hard for it and dont give up. dont let others get to you. here are my tips:

first, find your type of learning style (there are plenty of "what kind of learner are you"quizzes out there, google them). also dont be scared to get help/tutor

second, if you are really serious about a career in pharmacy then you will be willing to take 1-2 (depends) years off to improve. enroll in a postbacc pre-medical program or a healthcare related certificate (there are plenty programs that are designed to improve your academics) or even a master degree program. if you want to save $$ and not do the postbacc routine, repeat some courses at a community college while taking new science, higher level courses (genetics etc). planning is key! plan what you are taking, when you will apply. have short term goals. be realistic (handle what you can handle and dont overload). dont be afraid to take a year or two off. tutor/study buddies/talk to your professors etc. also make sure you raise your gpa to at least their min gpa. some schools require 2.5 but some require 2.75-2.8,for example.

third, apply early early!!! apply to many schools. the more the better (a variety of top to bottom schools, at least 8). dont be afraid to the top schools (worst thing is you wont get in. doesnt hurt to try). make sure you do a thorough research about the program ( about prerequisites, min. gpa requirements, etc). go to open houses and find more about them.

fourth, write an excellent essay explaining why pharmacy (dont be generic and say, you want to help ppls or about a sick family member etc), why you are a great candidate and why you stand out. give specific examples. tell them YOUR story. make sure you proodfread! let your peers read and give you feedbacks. i had 5 different ppls looking at my paper ( from english major to pharmacist) and help me edit my paper.

fifth, get at least 3 great recommendation writers (your boss/supervisor/pharmacist, professors or academic advisors). you need good letters so make sure you ask someone who can give you an excellent letter. ask in advance.

sixth, get some pharmacy related experiences (work, volunteer). talk about some of your experiences in your essay.

if you get an interview, you're halfway through the battle. make sure you study hard for the interview. do your research and practice practice practice!

good luck!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Hi, I have a really low gpa and pcat score. My gpa is 3.12 and pcat is 25th percentile. I do not have any pharmacy experience. I only have some research and hospital voluntary experience and I am currently an intern at FDA. I will have my bachelor's degree in pharmaceutical science at the end of spring 2017. Do you think I have any chance of getting in any pharmacy school for fall 2017?

Hi, I have a really low gpa and pcat score. My gpa is 3.12 and pcat is 25th percentile. I do not have any pharmacy experience. I only have some research and hospital voluntary experience and I am currently an intern at FDA. I will have my bachelor's degree in pharmaceutical science at the end of spring 2017. Do you think I have any chance of getting in any pharmacy school for fall 2017?
The fact that you are getting a B.S. in Pharmaceutical Science and that your GPA is a 3.12 is a huge plus. I strongly think you'll get into at least one school. Try to get that PCAT higher - but man, your other stats are looking good. A B.S. in Pharm Science is a big thing because you are already so ahead of the game!

The fact that you are getting a B.S. in Pharmaceutical Science and that your GPA is a 3.12 is a huge plus. I strongly think you'll get into at least one school. Try to get that PCAT higher - but man, your other stats are looking good. A B.S. in Pharm Science is a big thing because you are already so ahead of the game!

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you. I am planning to retake my pcat this January. I am going to take some more pharmaceutical science classes on spring 2017 semester. Do the pharmacy schools look at the last semester's courses to make their decision?

Thank you. I am planning to retake my pcat this January. I am going to take some more pharmaceutical science classes on spring 2017 semester. Do the pharmacy schools look at the last semester's courses to make their decision?

What schools are you applying too? A 3.1 is not such a bad GPA and I'm sure you can mention your future coursework on your app.

At the end it really matters what schools you are applying to, otherwise its hard to make a judgement call.

Also, just make sure to stay away from student loans - try not to go to a very expensive school unless you have the ability to pay for it.

Pharmacy school admissions is a joke nowadays. Have a pulse/be willing to take out 35k+ a year in loans for tuition and any of these diploma mill schools will scoop you up. Not to sound harsh, but people on here are talking about getting into multiple schools with sub 3.0 undergrad gpas. How far we have come.

What schools are you applying too? A 3.1 is not such a bad GPA and I'm sure you can mention your future coursework on your app.

At the end it really matters what schools you are applying to, otherwise its hard to make a judgement call.

Also, just make sure to stay away from student loans - try not to go to a very expensive school unless you have the ability to pay for it.

I am going to apply UB, Touro, LIU, Albany college of health sciences and some out of state schools in California. I have applied to UCSF inspite of knowing that it is a really competitive school in US. I do not expect to get an interview from them. Just tried. Can you recommend any other schools for me? And are you also applying for fall 2017?

I am going to apply UB, Touro, LIU, Albany college of health sciences and some out of state schools in California. I have applied to UCSF inspite of knowing that it is a really competitive school in US. I do not expect to get an interview from them. Just tried. Can you recommend any other schools for me? And are you also applying for fall 2017?

Yes, I'll be applying for Fall 2017 as well. What's your price bracket? Are you willing to go to any pharmacy schools in the USA? Some of the schools you're applying to are REALLY expensive for OOS students. Chapman is a good option, but its 70K a year and the way the job market is looking, repaying that will be hard. I don't suggest taking loans either.

Yes, I'll be applying for Fall 2017 as well. What's your price bracket? Are you willing to go to any pharmacy schools in the USA? Some of the schools you're applying to are REALLY expensive for OOS students. Chapman is a good option, but its 70K a year and the way the job market is looking, repaying that will be hard. I don't suggest taking loans either.

All the private schools' tuition is around 70K. I live in NY and UB is the only cheapest school here. But its really competitive to get in there. I called them and they said they take students with around 3.70 cgpa with good cat score. I am planning to go to any USA school. But looking for the cheaper one mostly. Would you mind sharing your stat? And which schools you are applying to?

All the private schools' tuition is around 70K. I live in NY and UB is the only cheapest school here. But its really competitive to get in there. I called them and they said they take students with around 3.70 cgpa with good cat score. I am planning to go to any USA school. But looking for the cheaper one mostly. Would you mind sharing your stat? And which schools you are applying to?

Pcat*

i have a 2.1 gpa is there any chance i can get into any pharmacy schools? My gpa is low due to personal reasons. its not that the course work is diffcult (except orgo) I just have alot on my plate. but recenly my grades have been inproving. last semester I got a B and a C.

i have a 2.1 gpa is there any chance i can get into any pharmacy schools? My gpa is low due to personal reasons. its not that the course work is diffcult (except orgo) I just have alot on my plate. but recenly my grades have been inproving. last semester I got a B and a C.

Are you working full time and going to school part time or something? With a 2.1gpa, I wouldn't consider a B and a C an improvement.

You’ll get in as long as you qualify for $200k+ in student loans.

I've seen this advice on other threads, but if you are having a difficult time with pre-requisite courses, pharmacy classes will be much more difficult for you to pass. You should try retaking classes that you got low scores in and maybe take some harder science courses like Genetics, Microbio, Cell Biology, A&P and see if you can handle the workload of those courses. And like DagS132 said, B and C are not really great improvements especially for the field you're going into where competiton is very high. Keep working hard and good luck :)

I've seen this advice on other threads, but if you are having a difficult time with pre-requisite courses, pharmacy classes will be much more difficult for you to pass. You should try retaking classes that you got low scores in and maybe take some harder science courses like Genetics, Microbio, Cell Biology, A&P and see if you can handle the workload of those courses. And like DagS132 said, B and C are not really great improvements especially for the field you're going into where competiton is very high. Keep working hard and good luck :)
Thank you for the advise I was working part time technically but I was reviewing 40 a week at my local grocery store. It was very draining and I
Wouldn’t get off work until midnight then I still had homework to do and I had to be up early in the morning for class so sometimes I had no sleep I lived off Red Bulls lol. But now I’ve quite that job and I got a position at cvs as a pharmacy Technician. The pay is $3 an hour less but I get off earlier and I have time to do homework, study and sleep so my grades are definitely improving.

Are you working full time and going to school part time or something? With a 2.1gpa, I wouldn't consider a B and a C an improvement.
I was and now I’m not I used to get off at midnight and work 40 hours. Then I’d have to get up early in the morning to go to school. I have a new job now I make $3 an hour less but it’s a Technician job, I get off earlier so that mean more time I can sleep and study

I'm currently going in to my sr. year.
I've had hard time in school due to family issues.
Currently I have a GPA of 2.7356 (cumulative, non pharmcas just my university)..
I re-took Pre-calc and chemistry I & II (total of takes 3 in each course).
I took Chem I at a community college getting a C, taking it at my university with a C- & again with a B.
I failed my Chem II & Calc at community college (only went there for summer classes to transfer credits to my own university). The rest of my grades are good nothing lower than a C-. Just those 3 classes. Will my PCAT that I'm taking in November help me? I am getting an LOR from my PIC, Director of Operations at a major hospital here, and also my Dean of Biology. I volunteer at the ER and work as a pharm tech for over a year. Also I am in Tri Beta (Biology Society).
Where should I apply? Or should I even bother? Help would be much appreciated!
If you can take your classes at A year. It’s less competitive and the lectures tend to be easier ( unless you’re at Harvard or Yale)