Low GPA, Psychology Major. In need of advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

K223K

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I decided to start this post because I've seriously been doubting the fact that I would even have a chance of getting accepted into an Osteopathic school just based on my GPA and the amount of C's [ 12 :( ] I have on my transcript. I know that a low GPA isn't the end of the world as applicants are more than their GPA and are accepted based on other factors such as a high MCAT score, volunteer hours/clinical hours, LORs, but I can't stop having doubts that the amount of C's I have will hinder my acceptance. I have taken a few science courses and luckily the courses I do have C's in are courses such as history and in some social science classes I took my first two years of college. I am currently a junior who has recently returned to college after 3 years off (meantime became a medical assistant and have great clinical experience) and have made it my duty to have a strong upward trend and a strong come back. I worked my 2.85 GPA to a 3.2 in three semesters by making sure I maintain a 4.0 GPA in all semesters here on out. If I continue on this track of receiving all A's I will finish with a cGPA of a 3.5. Since I am a non-trad student I'll be doing a diy post-bac for the science courses I still need to complete (only have taken 4). So I guess my question is if there any hope for a non-trad like me hoping to redeem themselves and make all other aspects of their application stellar? If so, what should I really try to focus on or consider doing to make up for my not so great GPA and the amount of c's I have on my transcript?

Thank you guys in advance for taking time to read this!

Here is some general information regarding my current GPA, degree, etc.

Psychology major w/ a minor in Astronomy
Year : Junior
Current GPA : 3.2
^ ( 12 c's the rest are A's only 1 B)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Should be fine if the MCAT is at least average

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for taking time to reply! I'll continue to do the best I can to make this goal happen!

Yea you'll be fine. Keep up with your grades and do reasonably well on the MCAT. You probably wouldn't need to do a post-bac either. If your GPA is above 3.2 then you're fine for DO.

Reactions: 1 users