Low GPA/ Solid OAT score story

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cavsfan168

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys I have took the OAT over the summer. I want to tell my story because there is hope and don’t ever give up. I had a low gpa literally a 3.00 and my science was around 2.87. I’m currently in my gap year right now. I self studied and didn’t pay for the Kaplan class but I have materials from that class I got from another student on SDN! I studied for 2 months and went to the library 6-8 hours a day. I took Sunday off. I knew I had no choice but to get a great score so I eliminated social life pretty much and kept discipline. During my studying time to the library from 9/10-3 then go back to the library 8-10. After studying I would go the gym and repeat that cycle. I followed a calendar from Aris DAT schedule but made my own tweaks to it. I have all the materials and books needed to get a good score and ended up getting
AA: 340
TS: 330
I applied end of September and got into everywhere I applied ICO, Midwestern-IL, Salus, AZCOPT, NOVA southeastern. I committed to Midwestern-IL due to the school being close to home and save money on expenses

Message me separately if you want advice on my OAT game plan and the materials I used! I’m willing to help out!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys I have took the OAT over the summer. I want to tell my story because there is hope and don’t ever give up. I had a low gpa literally a 3.00 and my science was around 2.87. I’m currently in my gap year right now. I self studied and didn’t pay for the Kaplan class but I have materials from that class I got from another student on SDN! I studied for 2 months and went to the library 6-8 hours a day. I took Sunday off. I knew I had no choice but to get a great score so I eliminated social life pretty much and kept discipline. During my studying time to the library from 9/10-3 then go back to the library 8-10. After studying I would go the gym and repeat that cycle. I followed a calendar from Aris DAT schedule but made my own tweaks to it. I have all the materials and books needed to get a good score and ended up getting
AA: 340
TS: 330
I applied end of September and got into everywhere I applied ICO, Midwestern-IL, Salus, AZCOPT, NOVA southeastern. I committed to Midwestern-IL due to the school being close to home and save money on expenses

Message me separately if you want advice on my OAT game plan and the materials I used! I’m willing to help out!

Hey, congratulations on your acceptances! How were your extracurricular activities/experience like if you don't mind sharing? 🙂
 
Hey, congratulations on your acceptances! How were your extracurricular activities/experience like if you don't mind sharing? 🙂

shadowed at eye clinic privately owned for about 2-4 hours every week for a year.
did 120 hours of volunteering at a hospital
was part of e-board for the pre optometry club.
played intramural sports for 4 years
member at like 3 other clubs.
 
Wow! Thanks a lot for the hope. I'm literally in the same boat. Other than you OAT score, what do you think made you stand out?