low gpa with 25 mcat, ANY schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blacklabel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am Asian Indian, USA citizen, Live in NY. Applying as economically disadvantaged. I received need based aid from FAFSA,TAP, and FAP approval. Not sure how much economically disadvantaged helps but adcoms please let me know.

I'm open to any American schools DO or MD. My stats are weak so if anything I will try to apply broadly to DO schools based upon feedback.

Mcat: PS 9 VR 5 BS 11, total 25

science GPA 2.68
Overall GPA 3.04

My extracurriculars are not stellar either:
1200 hours volunteering at church, non Clinical

For clinical experience, I did 40 hours working with 2 children with cerebral palsy. I worked with them in a pool and designed activities to help their cause.

30 hours shadowing an internal medicine MD. With recommendation letter, expecting a relatively good letter

20hours shadowing gastroenterologist DO. With recommendation letter, expecting about average/okay letter

How risky is it to go for Caribbean schools? If any, I would like to go to SGU. Are my stats good enough? How about post bacc programs for DO or MD, which if any would I qualify for or be competitive for? Is it recommended that I retake the mcat? Any recommendations to guide me forward would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats are not competetive for DO or MD schools. You must re-take all F/D/C science courses to get that sGPA and cGPA inot a competetive range for DO schools.

Carribbean diploma mills will gladly take you as long as you are breathing and can write an up-front tuition check. Don't expect a match when residency comes along, though.

Yes, you should re-take MCAT.

SMP/post-bac programs are a dime-a-dozen. Look for one given by a medical school.

I'm open to any American schools DO or MD. My stats are weak so if anything I will try to apply broadly to DO schools based upon feedback.

Mcat: PS 9 VR 5 BS 11, total 25

science GPA 2.68
Overall GPA 3.04

My extracurriculars are not stellar either:
1200 hours volunteering at church, non Clinical

For clinical experience, I did 40 hours working with 2 children with cerebral palsy. I worked with them in a pool and designed activities to help their cause.

30 hours shadowing an internal medicine MD. With recommendation letter, expecting a relatively good letter

20hours shadowing gastroenterologist DO. With recommendation letter, expecting about average/okay letter

How risky is it to go for Caribbean schools? If any, I would like to go to SGU. Are my stats good enough? How about post bacc programs for DO or MD, which if any would I qualify for or be competitive for? Is it recommended that I retake the mcat? Any recommendations to guide me forward would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but no bueno. The good thing is that DO schools allow grade replacement. If you retake all the classes you did crappy in and do well you should see your GPA drastically improve. The MCAT is a no go as well, you're going to have to improve that. You've got a lot of work to do but people have recovered from worse.

Exhaust all options before going Caribbean. This may seem like the easy route initially but it will not be in the end.

Survivor DO

get the sGPA above 3.0 and you might get into one of the new schools.