Low GPA with undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vet8240

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just submitted my application and got the ADEA AADSAS GPA.
I knew my gpa wouldn't be high considering I got 3.2-3.3 on my postbacc classes but when they added up those postbacc sci gpa with my undergrad sci gpa, it dropped dramatically down to 2.5. This is very low and I'm not even sure if I'm even eligible to apply anymore.

I know that schools look at upper trends but will they apply to me as well? I'm not even sure if they are going to have a second look at mine since the gpa is too low.

Help anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

some school have gpa cut off and only send you secondary if u meet the requirements. just avoid those schools

Look at predents.com some schools admited low gpa's before so never loose hope. Also contact schools you interested in. Some schools look at the whole application before they reject you so make sure u build a strong application .some other schools have cutoffs for dat, gpa and others . good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you for all your help. i realized that there are two types of gpa one with +/- and one without. i'm not too sure what the purpose is to have two separate grades but hoepfully they will see the gpa with +/-.

i'll start calling schools to see if my gpa is acceptable to their standards!

I just submitted my application and got the ADEA AADSAS GPA.
I knew my gpa wouldn't be high considering I got 3.2-3.3 on my postbacc classes but when they added up those postbacc sci gpa with my undergrad sci gpa, it dropped dramatically down to 2.5. This is very low and I'm not even sure if I'm even eligible to apply anymore.

I know that schools look at upper trends but will they apply to me as well? I'm not even sure if they are going to have a second look at mine since the gpa is too low.

Help anyone?

so after adding with your post-bacc your gpa is around 2.5?
what was your original gpa?

people usually have around 3.2-3.3 before post-bacc and they make close to 4.0 during post-bacc in order to be competitive for dental school.
purpose of postbacc is in order to show them that you have changed and you can make mostly all A's in upper science classes.

3.2-3.3 in post-bacc will definitely hurt you. call schools and ask for advice

I recently graduated from a Master of Science program (Micro and Immuno) at Hopkins. I have done lab research there and have a 3.5 gpa. Activities and experiences aside, I am wondering if I would even have a chance based on just my college grades and my graduate grades. I went to my state college and did very poorly. I ended up with a 2.8 gpa. My science gpa from there is like a 2.5. :(
Do dental schools look at graduate work favorably? I mean, will it help my low GPA?

I recently graduated from a Master of Science program (Micro and Immuno) at Hopkins. I have done lab research there and have a 3.5 gpa. Activities and experiences aside, I am wondering if I would even have a chance based on just my college grades and my graduate grades. I went to my state college and did very poorly. I ended up with a 2.8 gpa. My science gpa from there is like a 2.5. :(
Do dental schools look at graduate work favorably? I mean, will it help my low GPA?
Yes, your Master's GPA will show that you are capable of mastering upper level science courses. Good luck!