Low GPA with upward trend (waiting on MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Struggles

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am just trying to get an idea of where I stand, but more importantly what I can do in the near future (a.k.a. the year leading up the late spring/early summer that I apply).

GPA:
Currently I have a cumulative GPA of 3.01. I have a pretty significant upward trend due to a freshman year GPA of 2.3 when I was no-preference and had no vested interest in school. I've had one outlier semester (junior year with a 2.5 due to a couple factors), but overall I have had around 3.3s for the other semesters with one 3.5 and one 4.0 (most recent semester). I have 28 credits remaining so I could assume that I would finish with approximately a 3.2-3.3 overall.

MCAT:
I just took the MCAT on the 13th. I had been scoring fairly well on practice tests (30-34), but the actual test did not go as well due to anxiety. I would imagine I will take it again, but I guess it's hard to gauge a score until I get the actual results.

ECs:
I've worked in a Plant Biology Lab for 2 years (15 hours a week), but I haven't done any notable research (just the usual lab assignments). I have shadowed plenty of Doctors from a few different hospitals spanning over the last 4 years. I volunteered at a Free Clinic for one summer (~5 hours a week).

What should I do over the next year that can help bolster my application (other than ideally ace classes and do work on the MCAT on the second attempt)? Thanks in advance for any advice, and I apologize for my abuse of parentheses!

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely need some more volunteering for sure.

Can you try to volunteer at a shelter or some kind of public service kind of thing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you try to volunteer at a shelter or some kind of public service kind of thing?

Definitely can. Is that the best form of volunteer work? Or should I try to volunteer more time at a free clinic near my college? Thanks!

What should I do over the next year that can help bolster my application (other than ideally ace classes and do work on the MCAT on the second attempt)?
As a fellow parenthesis abuser, I can't say I noticed any excessive use.

I'd suggest you make a 4 hour/week commitment to volunteering in a clinical environment for the next two semesters (if the free clinic is near by, that would be ideal), about 2-3 hours per week of community service for a cause you care about, and possibly taking on a leadership or teaching role.