Low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aspiring_PA-S

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I've been going back and fourth between PA and DO for a long time now and I'm finally going to be shadowing a surgical PA and an ER DO to help determine what I want to go for. The problem is, I have a pretty low GPA so I want to know if DO is even an option.
cGPA: 3.44
sGPA: 3.23
Strong upwards trend
Hispanic and first-gen college student
EC: Hospital volunteer, mentor to underrepresented middle/high school students, vet center volunteer (Never got into research because lab work just doesn't interest me)
Gap Year: Working EMT, continue hospital and mentor, try to TA for my EMT program
Also, been working at the same restaurant job for 6 years (since high school)

I know my EC aren't stunning either and I haven't taken the MCAT, currently studying. Would I have a chance if I got an above 500 MCAT score? I know I can do good. The reason my GPA is low is because I transferred to a UC and STRUGGLED to become accustomed to the fast-paced coursework. I eventually did and got straight A's my last 3 quarters :)

I'm a Cali resident and would like to apply to Western U and Touro CA and NV. Seeing as I want to stay in Cali, what are my chances? lol Thank you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your GPAs are good enough for most DO schools but it really depends on your MCAT. If you could break like 507/508 you'd really be a competitive DO applicant and above 512 you could even throw in some MDs if you're interested in that as well. Have you taken any practice tests?

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys! I've been going back and fourth between PA and DO for a long time now and I'm finally going to be shadowing a surgical PA and an ER DO to help determine what I want to go for. The problem is, I have a pretty low GPA so I want to know if DO is even an option.
Strong upwards trend
EC: Hospital volunteer, mentor to underrepresented middle/high school students, vet center volunteer (Never got into research because lab work just doesn't interest me)
Gap Year: Working EMT, continue hospital and mentor, try to TA for my EMT program

I know my EC aren't stunning either and I haven't taken the MCAT, currently studying. Would I have a chance if I got an above 500 MCAT score? I know I can do good. The reason my GPA is low is because I transferred to a UC and STRUGGLED to become accustomed to the fast-paced coursework. I eventually did and got straight A's my last 3 quarters :)

I'm a Cali resident and would like to apply to Western U and Touro CA and NV. Seeing as I want to stay in Cali, what are my chances? lol Thank you guys!

You'll have to wait till your MCAT score comes back to get a better idea. What are you scoring on practice tests? And are you applying this cycle?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPAs are good enough for most DO schools but it really depends on your MCAT. If you could break like 507/508 you'd really be a competitive DO applicant and above 512 you could even throw in some MDs if you're interested in that as well. Have you taken any practice tests?

Thank you! :) I haven't taken any practice tests as I'm giving my self plenty of time to study (I'll be applying not this cycle but the next).

You'll have to wait till your MCAT score comes back to get a better idea. What are you scoring on practice tests? And are you applying this cycle?

I haven't taken any practice tests since I'm giving myself a lot of time to absorb and understand all the material. I'll be applying next cycle and have given myself a deadline to take the MCAT by the end of this year! Thank you for your response :)

Strong upwards trend

Which Hispanic group do you represent?

Your stats are fine for pretty much all DO schools, including mine. Also consider Western-OR, PacNW and AZCOM

MD is also possible thanks to that strong upward trend.

3.25 cgpa and sgpa. not an upward trend. 510 mcat. got an interview at touro CA. im ORM. you should be ok