Low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Determined27

Pre-Pharmacy
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So basically, i have a low GPA around 2.4 because when i started my first semester of college, my parents left to go overseas and during their visit they got into a car accident and passed away instantly. I've had a rough time during that semester and ended up having one B two C's and two D's, I did not know anything about hardship withdrawal's for college because I was so depressed and I couldnt figure anything out. When i ended up going to the Dean, she was very rude and told me that there was nothing that she could do. :(
However, when the new semester started, I came out with 3 B's and one A. And my grades are getting better ever since. My science grades are A's and B's and i still have to take organic one and two along with bio 1 and 2. My GPA will probably be around 3.1 if i work really hard. Would the past grades affect me? Is there any way I can tell the pharmacy school before hand of way my grades are so bad? If i keep up with my science grades will they see that I have made alot of effort?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, I was very touched by your story, to lose BOTH your parents, my sympathy goes out to you. To answer your question, just write everything from your heart in your personal statement. Make all of your trials and tribulations show through your words. Your science GPA sounds great, I'm just starting my pre-pharm career and hope I can get A's and B's too. Keep your head up....only losers are those who don't try! :)

I'm sorry for your loss, that would be very tough. But just like what tootoo30 said, in your personal statement just say something about your situation and I'm sure they would put that into consideration. If you pull of a 3.1, then that'll be great, but it wouldn't be the end of the road if you had a 3.0 or below. Try to get a good PCAT, have experience, etc. and you should be competitive enough.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really sorry to hear this happened to you. I can't imagine how hard that must be. My only advice is a repeat of what's been said already, to write a good personal statement, beef up your application with other stuff like pharmacy experience and don't worry too much. Here is a calculator that I've found to be helpful. You can enter theoretical numbers in and see how many semesters you'd need of certain grades to reach a certain GPA. Take a look, things might not be as bad as you think. :)

http://www.back2college.com/raisegpa.htm

Oh wow...you have a story and that will set you apart in your application. In regards to the gpa, I would try to finish your degree and get involved in volunteering, clubs etc. This should help to strengthen you application.

Just the fact that you stayed in school after that is something that's pretty impressive. If that were me, I'd have probably dropped out for a few semesters. I'm very sorry that happened to you, and I wish you luck!

Like the others said, as long as you keep up your grades now and write about what happened, you should be fine.

Good luck :)

I'm really sorry for your loss, that should be so hard. About you grades, you should be fine, since you improved your grades. Also, you can try to retake the courses that you got D and C. Good luck to you!

i am so sorry to hear about your loss. you are one tough cookie. as long as adcoms see that your first semester grades were under severe circumstances, you have nothing to worry about. you may explain to them your circumstances if you choose, but since you've shown improvement since then i don't think you have anything to worry about. keep your chin up and keep working hard! :luck:

Repeat those classes if you haven't already. Put it in your personal statement, but don't shoot for pity. Also, even if they forgive your past problem, remember that pharmacy school is tough to get into. Be prepared to go another round or two to get in. Be ready to go that extra mile. I didn't lose both my parents in college, but I did lose one. It took me several years of extra work and experience to get me in. You can do it, but be ready for extra work.