• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

bubblyh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
hey guys,

my gpa is currently a 2.9.. i know this is very low..and its my 2nd year in college. do you think that i can make it into pharm school or optometry with that gpa?? but im still clueless which one i should go into..pharm or optometry...?! i'm trying my best to pull up my gpa. someone help me please!! thank you :)

UNMorBUST

Mystery Man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2008
Land Of Enchantment(Burque Baby)
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
hey guys,

my gpa is currently a 2.9.. i know this is very low..and its my 2nd year in college. do you think that i can make it into pharm school or optometry with that gpa?? but im still clueless which one i should go into..pharm or optometry...?! i'm trying my best to pull up my gpa. someone help me please!! thank you :)
We can't help you. Only you can. 2.9 is low but not to low. If you plan to finish your bachlors you have plenty of time; just apply yourself and get As. As for optometry vs pharm, shadow both and get experiences just as volenteering for them. Once you spend enough time with each you will know which one you are more drawn to.

bubblyh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
thanks. i know no one can help me but myself, but i'm just in the stage of confusion with optometry or pharm, thats all. but should i retake some of my courses? i made a C in general chemistry and biology in my first year. but this year, all my science classes are getting better though. hopefully when i apply, they can see my improvements.

About the Ads

UNMorBUST

Mystery Man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2008
Land Of Enchantment(Burque Baby)
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
thanks. i know no one can help me but myself, but i'm just in the stage of confusion with optometry or pharm, thats all. but should i retake some of my courses? i made a C in general chemistry and biology in my first year. but this year, all my science classes are getting better though. hopefully when i apply, they can see my improvements.
As long as you did not have any C- you will be fine. Just try to get A in higher level chemistry and biology classes.

Okie7123

Oregon St. Pharm Student
10+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2008
Fullerton, CA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
End of my second year I had a 2.98, mostly from screwing up calculus. I was able to replace my first semester calculus grade. Now, in my fifth year I have a 3.4 GPA and a strong upward grade/GPA trend (which they like to see, it shows you can adapt to challenges). I applied this year and have heard back from one school of my ten....for an interview :) So don't be discouraged. Just work hard and stay committed. Even with a 2.9 you can still get into some pharm schools....just don't settle for 2.9, work as hard as you can to get it high

bubblyh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
End of my second year I had a 2.98, mostly from screwing up calculus. I was able to replace my first semester calculus grade. Now, in my fifth year I have a 3.4 GPA and a strong upward grade/GPA trend (which they like to see, it shows you can adapt to challenges). I applied this year and have heard back from one school of my ten....for an interview :) So don't be discouraged. Just work hard and stay committed. Even with a 2.9 you can still get into some pharm schools....just don't settle for 2.9, work as hard as you can to get it high

wow! amazing! thanks. what school did you apply to? good luck with the interview! i thought with my gpa 2.9 is too low to even consider going to pharm school, but i guess theres a lot of people in the same boat as i am =)

Markovnikov

10+ Year Member
Jun 17, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I would recommend looking into unaccredited pharmacy schools like the ones in Tennessee such as Lipscomb. They have lower admission standards because they are brand new schools and are not yet accredited.

I also had a low gpa (3.1) after my first year from getting Cs in calculus 1 and 2. I was able to do very well in ochem and take a lot of "gpa booster" classes and now my gpa is a 3.7 (senior year). My science/math gpa is still in the low 3.0 range..but my overall gpa has improved.

bubblyh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
I would recommend looking into unaccredited pharmacy schools like the ones in Tennessee such as Lipscomb. They have lower admission standards because they are brand new schools and are not yet accredited.

I also had a low gpa (3.1) after my first year from getting Cs in calculus 1 and 2. I was able to do very well in ochem and take a lot of "gpa booster" classes and now my gpa is a 3.7 (senior year). My science/math gpa is still in the low 3.0 range..but my overall gpa has improved.

oh wow, so what classes did u take to boost ur gpa that high? i really wanna boost my gpa really high since its so low right now..

StringTheorist

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2007
Gainesville
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
when i applied, i had a 3.45 overall and 2.99 pre-pharm GPA. and i got accepted. buff it up with experience and good letters of rec.

roytse

10+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
when i applied, i had a 3.45 overall and 2.99 pre-pharm GPA. and i got accepted. buff it up with experience and good letters of rec.
if my guessing is correct, u got accepted into U of Florida, right? (from your sig.)
may i know what pharmacy related experiences or any other volunteer experiences you've had?

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.