Low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theunraveler

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was just wondering if one has low GPA, what can one do in order to improve the chances of getting into med school?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

search the forums to start. There are literally hundreds of threads that address this topic. You also need to provide way more information than that. Is your overall GPA low? do you have a rising trend? Are you a US/Canadian citizen? Where do plan on applying? What is your MCAT/GAMSAT/UKCAT?

example: if you are US/Canadian citizen and your "low" GPA = >3.0 < 3.5 with a significant rising trend towards your upper years, people might suggest you take more upper division undergraduate classes to improve your application.

example: you have a 3.0 GPA but a 35+ MCAT, people would probably suggest what I said above as well

example: you have an overall low (<3.2) GPA but your last two years of undergrad were high (>3.5/3.6) and your MCAT was average (28-30-ish) then apply to Australian schools where your upper years would play to your favour.

No one can help you without more information than what you have provided.

Cheers :)

search the forums to start. There are literally hundreds of threads that address this topic. You also need to provide way more information than that. Is your overall GPA low? do you have a rising trend? Are you a US/Canadian citizen? Where do plan on applying? What is your MCAT/GAMSAT/UKCAT?

example: if you are US/Canadian citizen and your "low" GPA = >3.0 < 3.5 with a significant rising trend towards your upper years, people might suggest you take more upper division undergraduate classes to improve your application.

example: you have a 3.0 GPA but a 35+ MCAT, people would probably suggest what I said above as well

example: you have an overall low (<3.2) GPA but your last two years of undergrad were high (>3.5/3.6) and your MCAT was average (28-30-ish) then apply to Australian schools where your upper years would play to your favour.

No one can help you without more information than what you have provided.

Cheers :)

I'm currently an international student, gonna try and get PR when I graduate. I plan to take GAMSAT sometime in the future. I am not from USA or Canada.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well...that's a start I guess.

What constitutes a "low GPA" for you. is your "low" a 3.6 or is it a <3.0? You really need to read some of the posts in this section regarding PR in Australia. I cannot tell you how many threads there are addressing this exact subject.
If you GPA is truly low, then see what each individual Australian school looks at. If it is quite low then may consider doing a graduate degree. Do well and you'll be good for UQ and you'll be interviewed at Sydney. If it is low in the first year and strong in the last three, you'll be ok at schools like Melbourne, Sydney and Flinders. A lot if riding on you GAMSAT as well if your GPA is low.

Well...that's a start I guess.

What constitutes a "low GPA" for you. is your "low" a 3.6 or is it a <3.0? You really need to read some of the posts in this section regarding PR in Australia. I cannot tell you how many threads there are addressing this exact subject.
If you GPA is truly low, then see what each individual Australian school looks at. If it is quite low then may consider doing a graduate degree. Do well and you'll be good for UQ and you'll be interviewed at Sydney. If it is low in the first year and strong in the last three, you'll be ok at schools like Melbourne, Sydney and Flinders. A lot if riding on you GAMSAT as well if your GPA is low.

I am assuming I will be applying as domestic student, international school fees is way too expensive for med school.

I am pretty sure there are plenty of other Aussie students who got low GPA but still aspire to become doctors so I was just wondering what they did to gain a place in med school.

Any idea which uni doesnt look at GPA?

no uni will take "no look" at GPA.

it depends how low you're talking on the GAMSAT score out of 7.

wait so you're an international student and once you graduate you are going to try and get PR? What do you plan on doing in the interim to get into med school, PR in any country isn't an instantaneous process; while I don't know much about Australias (again, talk to redshifteffect) I am sure it takes a while. Unless you applied for it when you started your studies?

And I agree with the above, no school will not look at your GPA. If that were the case, every "nice person" would apply, pass the interview and get in. Some schools use it as a hurdle such as Sydney and UQ but that is for international students. They might be a bit more strict with domestic students considering the significant reduction in your tuition.