Low GRE Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shakir32

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Is it beneficial to submit my PT applications early if I plan to retake my GRE early August? My GRE is the weakest part of my application. I scored a 153 verbal, 143 Quantitative, and 3.5 writing. Should I wait to submit till after the retake or is it better to apply early rather than later?

Members don't see this ad.

Applying early is more beneficial if the schools you are applying to are rolling admissions (applications are viewed as they are turned in), if they are not then hold off and retake the GRE since it wont matter when you submit your application (all are viewed after the deadline). Also you should be able to submit your application on PTCAS without your GRE scores in the system which is fine because it take 1-2 weeks for PTCAS to verify your information and transcripts and they will not send the applications out to the selected schools until the receive all your information, not to mention you send the GRE scores to each school individually. With a 3.5 writing and 143Q I think retaking is the best option.

Depends on when you're retaking the GRE, but it shouldn't be a big deal. If you want, you can call the schools to ask what they would prefer, but I agree with cmquin12. Some schools do have a 150V, 150Q requirement so be sure to look at those before applying. You can always send in your scores later after submitting the application.