Low GRE Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lynn_b

c/o 2022
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently took the GRE and scored 146 (V) and 154 (Q). My cumulative GPA is a 3.82, prerequisite GPA ~3.7. I have over 1,000 hours of veterinary experience (over 200 of those being with the federal government), over 4,000 hours of animal experience, and ~500 hours of research experience with the federal government. Should I spend the $200 and retake the GRE or allow my low (V) score to be my weak point? I am not confident in my abilities to score any higher on the verbal section. Unsure of analytical scores yet, but I felt really good about it.

Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

What schools are you looking at applying? Your school list is really what would determine you retaking the GRE. If you're applying to a school that doesn't look at the GRE, there's no point in retaking it.

You would probably be okay applying, I think.

I'm applying to Purdue, Mich State, and Virginia Tech; all who do not require it. Two other schools told me they did not have a minimum GRE score (Iowa State and NC State), and two others have averages they told me they like to see applicants at to be competitive, which were UPenn and Kansas State (I'm taking my chances with these two, one is my IS).

Members don't see this ad :)
I have seen people with a wide range of GRE scores get accepted. So there is always hope, especially with all of your amazing volunteer experience.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree that you shouldn't bother retaking it. I can also recommend looking into Ohio as a potential school if you're interested in them. I know a couple people with stats as good as your's who had low GRE scores and were accepted.

You'd be surprised how many schools overlook the GRE in lieu of your other stats. Also, good luck with applying to VT! Your strong research background will definitely be a plus when you apply here!

Thank you all for your input and the encouragement! I feel much better!

Good luck to those applying this cycle!

I am on the same boat, 151V and 145Q. ~3.7 GPA across the board, strong recommendation from mentors in zoo medicine, ophthalmology, research, and academia. Over 2,000 hours of animal experience, 2 research positions, invited to travel abroad on a scholarship, leadership roles, the works. The GRE literally has felt like a ball and chain. I will only apply to Florida but the GRE is a serious damper. I paid the 200$ and will retake on Monday!

Reactions: 1 users
Yes! The GRE is the only part where I don't feel confident! Good luck with all of your applications! :)