Low MCAT but Great ECs and URM

runmemydegree

Apr 14, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi,

I am an african american woman with a 3.4 cGPA and a 3.2 sGPA with MCAT scores of 495, 494, and 497. I have volunteered in a nursing home and shadowed doctors there for about 6 years with 500+ hours. I have multiple leadership roles and about 3000 hours working in a research lab on my own project. I am both an LSAMP and McNair scholar. I also plan on working as a medical scribe for my gap year. I was wondering if I should still apply for this cycle or wait.

About the Ads

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
  1. Attending Physician
You could receive interviews at some MD schools but your best chances will be DO schools. I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Commonwealth-Geisinger
West Virginia
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Quinnipiac
Vermont
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Indiana
Medical College Wisconsin
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
George Washington
For DO schools I suggest all these:
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
VCOM (all 4 schools)
CUSOM
WCU-COM
ARCOM
ACOM
NYIT-AR
UIWSOM
ATSU-SOMA
Many of these DO schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you could receive interviews with your score of 497.

DarklingThrush

2+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2016
  1. Medical Student
Thank you!!
Hi OP!
I highly recommend you check each individual school’s minimum MCAT requirements before for applying. Off the top of my head, I know that TCU requires a minimum MCAT of 498 to receive a secondary and Drexel requires 499. I believe Creighton has a minimum as well.. If I remember correctly, it’s some score above 500 and they have sub score requirements too. Hopefully that will help save you some money so that you don’t submit applications that might prescreen you out! Best of luck with your application cycle!!

Reactions: 1 users

future_dr_j

Jun 18, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi OP!
I highly recommend you check each individual school’s minimum MCAT requirements before for applying. Off the top of my head, I know that TCU requires a minimum MCAT of 498 to receive a secondary and Drexel requires 499. I believe Creighton has a minimum as well.. If I remember correctly, it’s some score above 500 and they have sub score requirements too. Hopefully that will help save you some money so that you don’t submit applications that might prescreen you out! Best of luck with your application cycle!!

Yes definitely check minimum MCAT scores and other minimum requirements for schools. I am a reapplication and didn’t pay as much attention to this my first application cycle and ended up applying to schools where i did not fit the minimum. Also make sure you write your personal statement and activities well. I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos about how to write these sections and they were helpful. Feel free to Dm me and i can give you some of the videos. Also check DO schools for minimums. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

runmemydegree

Apr 14, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Yes definitely check minimum MCAT scores and other minimum requirements for schools. I am a reapplication and didn’t pay as much attention to this my first application cycle and ended up applying to schools where i did not fit the minimum. Also make sure you write your personal statement and activities well. I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos about how to write these sections and they were helpful. Feel free to Dm me and i can give you some of the videos. Also check DO schools for minimums. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you so much!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.