low mcat/high gpa..Can i get into Medical School??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soccerfever

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I have taken the mcat three times and my highest score is VR 7, PS 8, WS M, BS 9. My overall GPA is 3.75, science 3.85.. I am non-URM..
My application is filled with outstanding post secondary-experience. Is anybody else in the same boat as me? Can i get into medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

i think you definitely need to improve your science scores to double digits and your writing sample to an o.

Would you want to do MCG? My nonURM friend got in with a 26P and good grades and ECs, they apparently dont put a lot of emphasis on the MCAT. Now, top 10 or UC schools might be out of the question, but MCG or Mercer are probably feasible. Plus, who can beat <10K dollars a year for med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are in GA, your best shot would be at Mercer or MCG as the previous poster indicated.. You may want to look into the possibility of DO schools as well as these schools tend to overlook the MCAT for the more well-rounded future physician.

I think that Mercer's average MCAT scores are around 8-9. MCG may be a little higher. So, go ahead and apply to these schools. Best of luck! :)

My last post on this I promise..

MCG's average mcat is around 29.5, Mercer's a good bit lower.. If you apply to Mercer, make sure you convince them that you want to do primary care and you want PBL (Problem-based Learning) or else you are shooting yourself in the foot.. Keep DO schools in mind as a backup.. If all else fails, take the mcat again next year when the verbal section is shortened and the sciences are altered slightly.

DP

Hi Soccer fever, i am in the same boat. GPA from a masters program 3.8, years of volunteer work and work experience in both clinical and now basic research. took the MCAT 2xs. High score: 7,7,8. Taking it again this august. wish me luck. Don't believe those who say ad com's don't weigh the MCAT, they dooooo!

Kind of sad we have to state non-URM in with gpa/ mcat/ volunteer/ research....

I got a 26Q on my first MCAT and thought I would have to retake it but my gpa is high 3.96 so I applied anyway. I applied to ten schools and was invited to interview at eight of them. Went to three interviews and got in at my top choice so I cancelled the other interviews. Definitely is worth a shot!

hi giddygirl,
do you mind telling us a bit more about your application? like where you did undergrad, where you applied and interviewed, and the mcat score break down? thanks, i think it could give some us an idea of where to apply.
streetdoc

Definitely consider retaking the MCAT. This process is a crapshoot, in which some people with subpar MCAT scores get in. However, you don't want to risk not getting in (major expenses in applying) if you could increase your chances of success by simply retaking an exam. Good luck.