low mcat reasons and interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctoresse

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to ask for a better way to explain my low mcat at interviews(24). I basically know the material and my gpa can prove it but the test was a little harder bc of the language barrier (I am an ESL) on top of just being a stressful test. anybody had that asked at interviews? what were your reasons and how did interviewers react?

Members don't see this ad.

doctoresse said:
I wanted to ask for a better way to explain my low mcat at interviews(24). I basically know the material and my gpa can prove it but the test was a little harder bc of the language barrier (I am an ESL) on top of just being a stressful test. anybody had that asked at interviews? what were your reasons and how did interviewers react?

If you are still getting multiple interviews with a 24, then people are not being put off by the score. Just sell your strong points.

doctoresse said:

i feel you. i have the same problem. i plan on telling them that because english is my second language i had a hard time taking the mcat beacsue i have not had the same exposure to various genres of language reauired for the mcat. some friends of mine got in to meds with low mcats with that reason. however you might want to further explain that you are actively taking steps to improve the areas of your mcat that you did bad in. i had a 24 too (verbal 6). good luck and keep your fingers crossed.

Members don't see this ad :)
riDer said:
i feel you. i have the same problem. i plan on telling them that because english is my second language i had a hard time taking the mcat beacsue i have not had the same exposure to various genres of language reauired for the mcat. some friends of mine got in to meds with low mcats with that reason. however you might want to further explain that you are actively taking steps to improve the areas of your mcat that you did bad in. i had a 24 too (verbal 6). good luck and keep your fingers crossed.

honestly, i have a 19 mcat... and it never came up during interview.

once u get to the interview, yiour gpa and numbers are fine.

theunderdog said:
honestly, i have a 19 mcat... and it never came up during interview.

once u get to the interview, yiour gpa and numbers are fine.

But this was your first score, correct? If not did you get in after that interview?

I am pretty sure it is underdogs first score... Its misleading what he said.

That is NOT true that once you get interviews your numbers are fine. If you scores are low they can absolutely ask you about it.

I have had interviews where I was asked from a specific score on my mcat to a specific grade in a class...

It depends on the interviewer. Some are very interested in your grades and they can definitely asks you.

I would definitely think about an answer for whatever discrepancy you have in your application. For example for verbal it can be that english is your second langauge and like what was said before you can say something about how you are working on it. Or if your GPA dropped for whatever reason you can state that you were also do many things besides schoolwork and that you still learned a great deal in those classes. You want to explain why and you want to bring a positive spin to it. Good luck!

The language on the MCAT is nuanced for a reason. I don't think some people will be sympathetic about English as a second language depending on your history. The MCAT is about reading comprehension AND performance. Some native speakers can't even finish the verbal section!

I'm suprised they interview non-urms at MD schools with < 25. If you've gotten one, I'd make sure to sell your self as much as possible on the interview.

doctoresse said:

Well, I am not ESL but, I did get a 22 and I have six interviews. I got asked that question in two of my interviews thus far. I answered it by saying, "I do not believe that how I will perform as a physician is measured, simply, by a score, no matter how high, or low. Granted, my high GPA is a measure of what I did for four years and my MCAT is how I may, or may not, perform on the boards. However, I believe that my interview is the best measure of what kind of physician I will be. Given the chance, I will be the physician that will put my hand on the should of the patient and treat them as person. You cannot measure empathy, compassion and kindess through a score, and this is what I will bring to the table, this is what I will bring to my practice as a physician."

Jamers said:
Well, I am not ESL but, I did get a 22 and I have six interviews. I got asked that question in two of my interviews thus far. I answered it by saying, "I do not believe that how I will perform as a physician is measured, simply, by a score, no matter how high, or low. Granted, my high GPA is a measure of what I did for four years and my MCAT is how I may, or may not, perform on the boards. However, I believe that my interview is the best measure of what kind of physician I will be. Given the chance, I will be the physician that will put my hand on the should of the patient and treat them as person. You cannot measure empathy, compassion and kindess through a score, and this is what I will bring to the table, this is what I will bring to my practice as a physician."

Well said. You give hope to all the high gpa low mcat applicants out there!

Have you thought about an MDapplicants profile link?

Jamers said:

Hi Jamers, that's pretty good,did you end up getting in at that school? I currently had 4 interviews and have 5 more ligned up. This is actually true, it depends on interviewers, one asked me about it while the other told me that numbers are not important to him bc they do not reflect if you will be a caring physician.