Low MCAT score :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Singerpremed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got my scores back from my June 30th exam... And I got a 499. Yup that happened... Anyway, my cgpa is a 3.43, and my sgpa is 3.25 or something and will probably be 3.3 after this summer semester. I plan on retaking a September exam. I know it's cutting it close but I feel a month of study with no distractions (like research or classes) will help me improve. I won't take it if I'm not able to though. Any advice of what schools to apply to in the mean time? I am feeling very low so I would appreciate solid and positive advice. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930P using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

So I just got my scores back from my June 30th exam... And I got a 499. Yup that happened... Anyway, my cgpa is a 3.43, and my sgpa is 3.25 or something and will probably be 3.3 after this summer semester. I plan on retaking a September exam. I know it's cutting it close but I feel a month of study with no distractions (like research or classes) will help me improve. I won't take it if I'm not able to though. Any advice of what schools to apply to in the mean time? I am feeling very low so I would appreciate solid and positive advice. Thanks!

Just crack down and you'll do fine :) I made a 499 my first time too. I hardly studied for it and didn't feel prepared. I studied for a couple of weeks before the retake and got a 508! Don't get too bummed and if you apply to newer schools you should be fine.

Just crack down and you'll do fine :) I made a 499 my first time too. I hardly studied for it and didn't feel prepared. I studied for a couple of weeks before the retake and got a 508! Don't get too bummed and if you apply to newer schools you should be fine.
I did study but I never had a focused study where that's all I was doing. Either I was doing research or classes or both lol. But I r feel for me If I crack down for a month I could do it... Like u did.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the newer schools. If u know any? I'm not interested in faith based ones..

What are the newer schools. If u know any? I'm not interested in faith based ones..

You can also look at VCOM in Auburn. I know you don't want a faith based School, but you can consider CUSOM

Reactions: 1 user

Apply broadly, especially targeting the newest schools, and LECOM

Skip the coastal Touros, AZCOM and CCOM

Your score is about on the average in my eyes and with good experiences such as shadowing, clubs, etc. You'll get secondaries from 60-75% schools that you want such as BCOM, VCOM, WVSOM, ARCOM, CCOM, and hell may be PCOM since they look at the application overall, not just scores and GPAs.

Reactions: 1 user
Your score is about on the average in my eyes and with good experiences such as shadowing, clubs, etc. You'll get secondaries from 60-75% schools that you want such as BCOM, VCOM, WVSOM, ARCOM, CCOM, and hell may be PCOM since they look at the application overall, not just scores and GPAs.

OP shouldn't apply to CCOM with that MCAT score or GPA.