Low MCAT. WHAT DO I DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bingy95

BINGSM1
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my MCAT is at 500. I am taking a gap year to work in research after completing my MPH this summer. cGPA is 3.7. GRADUATE gpa is 3.8. Graduated from well respected state flagship school with ample community service, tutoring, clinical hours as well as one publication.

Lizzy M score is 62. Really want MD but obviously know DO is more realistic. Anyone know which MD schools I would at least have a CHANCE at?

Members don't see this ad.

The only MD schools you have a chance at are the state schools in a few states if you are a resident of those states, Puerto Rico schools if you have ties to Puerto Rico, and foreign schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
By any chance are you getting you MPH at SIU? If you spin your essays to SIU using your current experiences they might bite. SIU is all about practicing in the rural areas of Southern Illinois.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
As mentioned SIU (maybe, due to your ties to southern ILL) and U ILL

I think that CCOM may snub you with a 500, as would my school, the coastal Touros and AZCOM. Best to apply broadly, but skip LUCOM.

So my MCAT is at 500. I am taking a gap year to work in research after completing my MPH this summer. cGPA is 3.7. GRADUATE gpa is 3.8. Graduated from well respected state flagship school with ample community service, tutoring, clinical hours as well as one publication.

Lizzy M score is 62. Really want MD but obviously know DO is more realistic. Anyone know which MD schools I would at least have a CHANCE at?

What DO you DO? I think the answer is clear.

Okay I know I am probably being naive but parent is WVU resident alum and uncle is alum from NYMC. Lived in WV for 5 years so some ties. ...Maybe? Will that at least get me an interview?
Marshall and WV are reasonable choices with this much connection to the region. Your MCAT is right at the 10th percentile for both.
NYM, not so much. Their 10th percentile is 27 and they get > 13K aps. Countless uncles have attended and not too many are major donors.

If you want better chances at MD, I would highly consider you retake the MCAT and improve 506+ since your gpa is pretty good. 500 is just too low for many MD schools unless you have special circumstances going for you (URM, connections with adcom, etc). Even WV residents would have a hard time getting into their state schools with a 500 so I don't expect you to fare any better as a non resident (even though you have ties). If you can get above 506+, you chances will drastically improve to these schools, especially at SIU medical if you live in southern Illinois. A 500 MCAT for DO with your gpa & experiences should put you in much better position for success but definitely apply broadly.