low med tuition fees?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zcesz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi... dunno if my last thread was posted... anyways...
can anybody please inform me of the tuition fees in any of the med schools here in the philippines except for up med (coz my grades won't suffice, i think... hehehe)... im interested in pursuing med... im currently in my senior year (up mla bsn)... yup... il be a nurse next year (hopefully...) i really want to pursue medicine especially after i've been exposed to both hospital and community health-care setting and i've worked/collaborated a lot with doctors in pgh and others... i love the experience... it's really hard to decide to pursue medicine given the trend that nursing is "in-demand" :-( .... so, i wanna study medicine without burdening much my parents with finances lest they'll get disappointed that i should have been "working as a nurse abroad and earning a lot" instead of "pouring money out of our family budget" (though i know they're not that kind)... am i still making any sense? hehe...

so, please inform me of any available scholarships for those med schools with high tuition fees... and also, inform me of the tution fees of all med schools such as: ust, plm, st. luke's, st. louis (in baguio?), uermmc?, fatima (i've heard they've got good scholarship programs?), mcu?, la salle?...... and more pls.

*is there no other way for me to enrol in plm?coz im not "manila-born?"....

thanks a lot! :)

Members don't see this ad.

zcesz said:
hi... dunno if my last thread was posted... anyways...
can anybody please inform me of the tuition fees in any of the med schools here in the philippines except for up med (coz my grades won't suffice, i think... hehehe)... im interested in pursuing med... im currently in my senior year (up mla bsn)... yup... il be a nurse next year (hopefully...) i really want to pursue medicine especially after i've been exposed to both hospital and community health-care setting and i've worked/collaborated a lot with doctors in pgh and others... i love the experience... it's really hard to decide to pursue medicine given the trend that nursing is "in-demand" :-( .... so, i wanna study medicine without burdening much my parents with finances lest they'll get disappointed that i should have been "working as a nurse abroad and earning a lot" instead of "pouring money out of our family budget" (though i know they're not that kind)... am i still making any sense? hehe...

so, please inform me of any available scholarships for those med schools with high tuition fees... and also, inform me of the tution fees of all med schools such as: ust, plm, st. luke's, st. louis (in baguio?), uermmc?, fatima (i've heard they've got good scholarship programs?), mcu?, la salle?...... and more pls.

*is there no other way for me to enrol in plm?coz im not "manila-born?"....

thanks a lot! :)
You can still enrol in PLM even if you're not manila born or resident. You might have to pay higher tuition but still cheaper than other schools. After UP that's the next school of choice if financing is a problem. Try UERM if they can give you a scholarship. St. Lukes and UST are the more expensive schools. Go to Peyups.com, there's a lot of UP Manila students there who went to PLM for Med school.

Hello zcesz

Be sure that your heart is really set on pursuing Medicine because it's an entirely different experience from what you see when you rotate as student nurses in the wards at PGH. Not a day goes by that those harried-looking clerks and interns think about quitting... but then... that's another story. Not to discourage you though. ;)

You can still enter PLM even if you're not born/residing in Manila, that is, if you belong to the top 10 of your graduating class. Otherwise, it's a very slim possibility your application will even be considered. I've had batchmates who were not born or residing in Manila, but they belong to the top 10 of our batch. Tuition fee in PLM is like in UP, stratification based on income. The highest bracket pays about 25-30thou per sem, according to my friend who's in her clerkship now at PLM.

Usually, some scholarships are given by private medical schools (like UERM) to incoming freshmen who meet a required general weighted average during college, usually the cum laudes of their batch, irrespective of course or school. This is called entrance scholarship. It usually lasts for the 1st sem only. Range? depends on the school.

After the first sem, you can start applying for academic scholarships offered by your school, or by its alumna (requirements are listed in the student handbook or you can ask the Registrar office of the school). Some private individuals/companies also give scholarships but you'll have to ask around. You'll need to maintain a GWA of 1.75 or higher to be an academic scholar and some require proof of income because they only select those who really need it. Discount is usually 25% off the tuition fee.

Call the schools you're interested in applying and ask about their current tuition fees. Tuition for UERM is around 70k (1st sem SY 2006-2007), so I'm guessing all other private schools probably are at the same tuition fee range. UST is probably at the 90 or 100thou already (when I went to med school 5 yrs ago, their tuition was at 60-70thou already).

Schools allow you to pay the tuition fee in installments, although you'd have to ask how it works.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Another thing you could try if you cannot get sholarships is expanding your geographic choices. Schools in the Visayas like WVSU are also less expensive. I heard that CIM is allso less expensive. But then if you cannot tolerate that distance,then you might need to ask around for tuition rates.

marblesmd said:
Hello zcesz

Be sure that your heart is really set on pursuing Medicine because it's an entirely different experience from what you see when you rotate as student nurses in the wards at PGH. Not a day goes by that those harried-looking clerks and interns think about quitting... but then... that's another story. Not to discourage you though. ;)

You can still enter PLM even if you're not born/residing in Manila, that is, if you belong to the top 10 of your graduating class. Otherwise, it's a very slim possibility your application will even be considered. I've had batchmates who were not born or residing in Manila, but they belong to the top 10 of our batch. Tuition fee in PLM is like in UP, stratification based on income. The highest bracket pays about 25-30thou per sem, according to my friend who's in her clerkship now at PLM.

Usually, some scholarships are given by private medical schools (like UERM) to incoming freshmen who meet a required general weighted average during college, usually the cum laudes of their batch, irrespective of course or school. This is called entrance scholarship. It usually lasts for the 1st sem only. Range? depends on the school.

After the first sem, you can start applying for academic scholarships offered by your school, or by its alumna (requirements are listed in the student handbook or you can ask the Registrar office of the school). Some private individuals/companies also give scholarships but you'll have to ask around. You'll need to maintain a GWA of 1.75 or higher to be an academic scholar and some require proof of income because they only select those who really need it. Discount is usually 25% off the tuition fee.

Call the schools you're interested in applying and ask about their current tuition fees. Tuition for UERM is around 70k (1st sem SY 2006-2007), so I'm guessing all other private schools probably are at the same tuition fee range. UST is probably at the 90 or 100thou already (when I went to med school 5 yrs ago, their tuition was at 60-70thou already).

Schools allow you to pay the tuition fee in installments, although you'd have to ask how it works.

Good luck!

-thank you so much :)

hi!

we have a similar background. i'm currently a 1st year. you might be interested in this school http://www.medskul.com/index.php. which is west visayas state u in iloilo city. currently, it is in the top 5 of the august 2006 medical boards.
tuition--13K.
better yet, check the site for all the info you need. if you're into research, this is the place to be. for the past few years, the school has been representing the country in student research competitions in the asian region, 1 or 2 have been the asian champion.
i think the website will be the best to answer you questions..

luck:

tantrum said:
You can still enrol in PLM even if you're not manila born or resident. You might have to pay higher tuition but still cheaper than other schools. After UP that's the next school of choice if financing is a problem. Try UERM if they can give you a scholarship. St. Lukes and UST are the more expensive schools. Go to Peyups.com, there's a lot of UP Manila students there who went to PLM for Med school.

st luke's gives out financial aid to students with the usual keep-your-grades-up clause, as well as full and partial scholarships for 'academic excellence' which even freshmen can apply for, assuming they graduated with honors pre-med.

maia said:
hi!

we have a similar background. i'm currently a 1st year. you might be interested in this school http://www.medskul.com/index.php. which is west visayas state u in iloilo city. currently, it is in the top 5 of the august 2006 medical boards.
tuition--13K.
better yet, check the site for all the info you need. if you're into research, this is the place to be. for the past few years, the school has been representing the country in student research competitions in the asian region, 1 or 2 have been the asian champion.
i think the website will be the best to answer you questions..

luck:

hmm.. if i knew about this 5 years ago, i probably would've gone to this school.. hehe.. easy access to the best beaches in the country (quite possibly in asia..), reasonable tuition fees, great program (so i'm told..).. only drawbacks i can think of are 1) you have to know how to speak the local dialect to be of any use at the er or the opd (ilonggo or visaya is very different from tagalog or what's usually recognized as filipino) and 2) you might never want to leave..

but seriously, how's the patient load? do you get a lot of varied cases?

deftfingers said:
hmm.. if i knew about this 5 years ago, i probably would've gone to this school.. hehe.. easy access to the best beaches in the country (quite possibly in asia..), reasonable tuition fees, great program (so i'm told..).. only drawbacks i can think of are 1) you have to know how to speak the local dialect to be of any use at the er or the opd (ilonggo or visaya is very different from tagalog or what's usually recognized as filipino) and 2) you might never want to leave..

but seriously, how's the patient load? do you get a lot of varied cases?

hmm..i'm only a first year so what i'll tell you will be based only on my short experience and what my seniors have said
dialect--i was having a hard time too in the 1st month even if i speak cebuano, but now, it's much easier.
we have a fil-am classmate here who spoke little or no hiligaynon/ilonggo at all but now, in his 2nd month, he is almost conversational in it. so i guess learning is more about motivation. bec i've also heard that there are some native Filipino students who never even bothered to learn/converse in the dialect during their 4 year stay.
2) hmmm...people have been very helpful here so far, like really generous, especially the upper year students :love:

as for patient load, the interns are rotated in the university hospital where they get lots of charity cases, then a private hospital--lots of rich patients, and then community work in adopted towns...
and other than the beaches, the city itself is rich in history, old grand mini-mansions can be seen anywhere...but have to say the food is one of the best draws for me :laugh:

maia said:
hmm..i'm only a first year so what i'll tell you will be based only on my short experience and what my seniors have said
dialect--i was having a hard time too in the 1st month even if i speak cebuano, but now, it's much easier.
we have a fil-am classmate here who spoke little or no hiligaynon/ilonggo at all but now, in his 2nd month, he is almost conversational in it. so i guess learning is more about motivation. bec i've also heard that there are some native Filipino students who never even bothered to learn/converse in the dialect during their 4 year stay.
2) hmmm...people have been very helpful here so far, like really generous, especially the upper year students :love:

as for patient load, the interns are rotated in the university hospital where they get lots of charity cases, then a private hospital--lots of rich patients, and then community work in adopted towns...
and other than the beaches, the city itself is rich in history, old grand mini-mansions can be seen anywhere...but have to say the food is one of the best draws for me :laugh:
hi ate maia! wow i'm so glad for you, you're doing pretty well :thumbup: and this school sounds good, i think i should seriously consider it when i apply...someday...hehehe
and i would love to stay there---i've got tons of relatives (mother's side) in Iloilo and Guimaras! :laugh: