Low OAT and GPA- What do I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optomsir

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I am reaching out to ask for some advice regarding what to do while I wait to hear back from 3 optometry schools. I graduated from my undergrad with a low GPA (2.94). I was never premed in my undergrad, but did take some courses for my major that fall into the pre-reqs needed for optometry school (Gen chem 1 &2, Bio, etc). I am finishing up my prerequisites at a local community college. My current GPA at my community college is 3.12.

I took the OAT a few weeks ago and scored 270 AA. I did horribly. I do not know if I should reach out to the programs to let them know that I plan on retaking the exam in February, or wait to see what they have to say.

What should I do?

****UPDATE*****
School #1 : Rejected me. They did not mention the reason in the email, but I feel like a large part of that was due to my OAT score.
School #2: Would like for me to retake my exam! So glad I was given this opportunity to try again. I have enrolled in an online KAPLAN course to make sure I crush the OAT in February. :)
School #3: I have not heard back at all. I did send them an email stating my plan of retaking the OAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi, yes you would need to retake the OAT again. Try as best as you can to get good grades in your remaining prerequisites classes. An upward trend looks good.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat--didn't do too well with OAT and was not a traditional science major in undergrad. I listed it in my OptomCAS app that I am retaking the OAT and I also emailed the schools. Good luck!!

I'm in the same boat--didn't do too well with OAT and was not a traditional science major in undergrad. I listed it in my OptomCAS app that I am retaking the OAT and I also emailed the schools. Good luck!!
Yes! I am retaking it for sure. Good luck to you too!

I heard back from 2/3 schools. One Rejection & one school would like for me to retake the OAT and resubmit the scores.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone.
I am reaching out to ask for some advice regarding what to do while I wait to hear back from 3 optometry schools. I graduated from my undergrad with a low GPA (2.94). I was never premed in my undergrad, but did take some courses for my major that fall into the pre-reqs needed for optometry school (Gen chem 1 &2, Bio, etc). I am finishing up my prerequisites at a local community college. My current GPA at my community college is 3.12.

I took the OAT a few weeks ago and scored 270 AA. I did horribly. I do not know if I should reach out to the programs to let them know that I plan on retaking the exam in February, or wait to see what they have to say.

What should I do?

****UPDATE*****
School #1 : Rejected me. They did not mention the reason in the email, but I feel like a large part of that was due to my OAT score.
School #2: Would like for me to retake my exam! So glad I was given this opportunity to try again. I have enrolled in an online KAPLAN course to make sure I crush the OAT in February. :)
School #3: I have not heard back at all. I did send them an email stating my plan of retaking the OAT.
Hey if you don't mind me asking, which schools did you apply to?

Oh nice, thank you! I have similar stats, so I'm not sure if it's smart to me to just wait for the next cycle and retake my exam by then instead of applying for this cycle... Or do you think I should still apply to this cycle and let schools know as well that I'm planning to retake my exam? ahh so stressed haha

If you don't mind, could you share what you said when you reached out to the school? I am in a similar boat, I want to reach out to them to be considered and let them know I will retake it, I'm just not sure how to go about wording it.