Technically, in some states the MD degree lets you do any and all types of medicine/surgery you want. Does that mean its safe for an FP to be doing a gastric bypass? Just because the law says one thing, you can't always use that to prove anything about training.
I looked up and compared the curriculum at UAB school of optometry and compared it with my med school curriculum. I'll admit I was suprised to see that MD students only take 1 hour of pharm lecture more than the OD students do. Now, granted, their pharm classes were broken up into half general pharm and half pharm of the eye AND our clinic time is more inclusive than theirs; but, the eye is all they need worry about, and they get good clinic time in that. ODs aren't going to be giving out immunosuppresants, hormone analogs, or beta2 agonists. 95% of what ODs Rx is topical. The other 5% are things like antihistamines (zyrtec is some dangerous stuff), occasional narcotics (usually 3-5 day supply for corneal abrasions), or occasional anti-microbial agents (though I've rarely seen those used, topical works well enough). MDs know more pharm than ODs, but we also use more of it. ODs seem to be doing just fine with the training they receive.
Here's something I'm somewhat curious about: where are you getting all your information about how woefully undertrained ODs are to Rx any drugs? Just like the previous poster claimed that OD take more pharm (and was incorrect), how do you know enough about OD training to say conclusively that they have no business treating eye disease?
For what its worth, I always enjoy a polite, well-reasoned debate... here's to hoping this doesn't degenerate as such threads tend to.