Low practice exam score...really need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panicked

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 196 on my first practice NBME and my test is in 5 weeks. I've gotten through ~70% of the Kaplan Qbank, untimed, by subject, w/ tutor, scoring ~60-65% (My average is 64). I've gone through most of my first pass through First Aid (still need to review pharm and anatomy again).

I'm really disappointed...my target score was a 230, but at this point I'd be happy with a 225.

1. Is this realistically possible w/ 5 weeks to go?
2. Any advice on suggested pace/study schedule over the next 5 weeks would be much appreciated.

Please help...I'm really freaking out here.

Members don't see this ad.

Just keep focusing on your weaknesses rather than reviewing everything...if multiple, focus on the HY ones. Do things in random mode rather than by subject. Sometimes you need to know just enough about a topic to rule things out.

I got a 196 on my first practice NBME and my test is in 5 weeks. I've gotten through ~70% of the Kaplan Qbank, untimed, by subject, w/ tutor, scoring ~60-65% (My average is 64). I've gone through most of my first pass through First Aid (still need to review pharm and anatomy again).

I'm really disappointed...my target score was a 230, but at this point I'd be happy with a 225.

1. Is this realistically possible w/ 5 weeks to go?
2. Any advice on suggested pace/study schedule over the next 5 weeks would be much appreciated.

Please help...I'm really freaking out here.

Have you tried DIT? Its a good review of FA, in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're 5 weeks out, spend ~3-4 hrs/day doing UWorld questions (and understanding them) and ~8-9 hrs/day memorizing FA. Try for 12-hour days. Annotate anything from UWorld into FA. Be fast and succinct with your annotations. Transfer over stuff that you think is likely to show up on the test, not just lower-yield details (you don't have time for that now).

When you're two weeks-out, spend ~12 hrs/day memorizing your annotated FA. Know it like your life depends on it (bc it does). If you haven't finished UWorld at this point, then continue with the hourly schedule in the first paragraph.

Other resources are not the best use of your time right now. You need to make UWorld and FA your priority.

Good luck,

If you're 5 weeks out, spend ~3-4 hrs/day doing UWorld questions (and understanding them) and ~8-9 hrs/day memorizing FA. Try for 12-hour days. Annotate anything from UWorld into FA. Be fast and succinct with your annotations. Transfer over stuff that you think is likely to show up on the test, not just lower-yield details (you don't have time for that now).

When you're two weeks-out, spend ~12 hrs/day memorizing your annotated FA. Know it like your life depends on it (bc it does). If you haven't finished UWorld at this point, then continue with the hourly schedule in the first paragraph.

Other resources are not the best use of your time right now. You need to make UWorld and FA your priority.

Good luck,

You do you realize that most people only have 5-6 weeks to study, right?

I unfortunately don't have $800 lying around for DIT. Do you guys think my goal is realistic though? A 225 5 weeks from now?

I unfortunately don't have $800 lying around for DIT. Do you guys think my goal is realistic though? A 225 5 weeks from now?

Yes, I believe so. I have <25 days to study and I am hoping to get to 225-230 level by then as well. I started with 5 weeks to study as well.