Low prereqs, better upper level courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Godric

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want an idea of how my grades come off as an applicant, I've preformed very poorly in my prereqs and I've been preforming better in my upper level courses and I've had an upward trend.

Prereqs-

Bio 1/Bio2= Both B's
Human Disease= A

Chem 1= C
Chem 1 Repeated (this year)= A
Chem 2= C+

Orgo 1= B
Orgo 2= A

Physics 1=B+
Physics 2= A

Upper level Courses-

Micro bio= B+
Molecular Bio= A
Behavioral= A

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

The cGPA at this time is 3.33 (prob 3.35, have to dispute a grade). My sGPA comes out to be 3.189 (includes my College Algebra grade + my retake, and Chem 1 + retake)

1st Semester- 3.33
Winter- 4.0 (retake for a math class)
2nd- 2.66
Summer- 2.58
3rd- 2.89
4th- 4.0
Summer- 3.75 (physics 1 + physics 2, 8 credits)
5th- 3.72 (hoping grade change is successful and I have 3.88 instead)

I am currently in my third year right now but I think I'll apply in my fourth year, possibly have a gap year or just keep taking classes. My aim is to get both my cGPA/sGPA at a 3.5. I believe with one more year I could be in range. I am also studying for mcat right now,hoping I do well when I take them. Now my question is does my upward trend compensate enough for my low grades in my first 2 years of college ?

I have a ton of EC's, they range from leadership positions at school in the Student Government (3 years), being part of clubs, and also holding leadership positions in multiple clubs.
I've held a job since High School, during semesters 3 and 4 I had 3 jobs, now I just have 2, I work around 30-45 hours a week.
No research (yet! I am hoping to get a reply soon from some Profs), I have a decent amount of clinical exposure, started in 2010 a volunteer program in a recovery room and the ER. And as of now, no shadowing (working on shadowing a physician and a radiologist)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The upward trend always helps and it shows that you can handle upper level classes. Grades in pre-req's are only a portion of the picture though- your cumulative gpa, science gpa, and mcat scores will define your academic ability to schools more thoroughly and be a better representation. Make sure you keep the remainder of your grades up and do well on the MCAT of you haven't taken it yet!

Good job btw!

Members don't see this ad :)
The upward trend always helps and it shows that you can handle upper level classes. Grades in pre-req's are only a portion of the picture though- your cumulative gpa, science gpa, and mcat scores will define your academic ability to schools more thoroughly and be a better representation. Make sure you keep the remainder of your grades up and do well on the MCAT of you haven't taken it yet!

Good job btw!

This. But what are your sGPA and cGPA? But regardless, good luck!

Updated first post with more info. Thank you everyone for your input so far!

Bump please (also updated first post with more info)

Any advice/ suggestions on what I should be aiming to do ?