Low RC..Should I retake my DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hkim1026

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to all this, and I was wondering if anyone can advise me whether I should retake my DAT.
My stats are AA 21, TS 22, BIO 21, GCHEM 28, OCHEM 21, RC 17:scared: QR 19, PAT 19. My undergrad cGPA is 3.7, sGPA 3.6. Postbac 2 classes with 4.0.

I am thinking about applying to University of Michigan, University of Detroit Mercy ( I am a Michigan resident), Tufts, and some others.

English is not my native language, but I doubt that it would make any difference. Is my RC(especially) and PAT too low to get in to these schools?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
rc is one of the most important section dental schools look at.
Although your AA is above average I think you will need to retake it. With your GPA, even if your overall dat scores drop I think it is totally worth it to retake the DAT for a higher rc score.

most schools have cutoff at 16. some are at 17.

Members don't see this ad :)
I came into this thread hoping you scored similar to me, because RC was my anomalous score as well. I did not retake and made it! I will be honest, though, 14 is really tough. I do not know enough about how schools treat the RC score for people who don't natively speak English. You might get some leeway there, or maybe not? You are clearly intelligent to have scored so high in the sciences. Ignore your PAT score, it is 100% fine.

I will tell you though, that during my interview at NOVA, it was communicated to me by the interviewers that they "don't care" about RC scores. If you apply anywhere, maybe make that one of your schools.

Hi all,

I am new to all this, and I was wondering if anyone can advise me whether I should retake my DAT.
My stats are AA 21, TS 22, BIO 21, GCHEM 28, OCHEM 21, RC 14:scared: QR 19, PAT 19. My undergrad cGPA is 3.7, sGPA 3.6. Postbac 2 classes with 4.0.

I am thinking about applying to University of Michigan, University of Detroit Mercy ( I am a Michigan resident), Tufts, and some others.

English is not my native language, but I doubt that it would make any difference. Is my RC(especially) and PAT too low to get in to these schools?

I've seen some people get into detroit mercy with 16s and 17s in RC, but 14 is just too low.

I am very sorry to say, but you should retake and at least aim at 17 (because everything else is solid)

Oh no! I made a typo.. I meant 17 rc. I have no idea where I got the 14 from. My mistakes. But 17rc would be alright not ro retake, right?
I apologize!

Oh no! I made a typo.. I meant 17 rc. I have no idea where I got the 14 from. My mistakes. But 17rc would be alright not ro retake, right?
I apologize!

You should recheck your TS as well.

How do you get a TS 22 w/ BIO 21 GC 28 OC 21?

Isn't it something higher?

You know, thats what i thought too, i hoped my gchem would bring my ts average higher but it didn't. It was 22. I know it's a silly question, but does the official score ever change since unofficial is released? Has anyone ever experienced?

Really? It's relieving to hear that some schools don't care about RC scores.
Thank you!

Ts is not an average of three science sections. It is scaled based on how many you got correct out of 100 questions. AA is the average of all five sections thou

Hi all,

My stats are AA 21, TS 22, BIO 21, GCHEM 28, OCHEM 21, RC 17:scared: QR 19, PAT 19. My undergrad cGPA is 3.7, sGPA 3.6. Postbac 2 classes with 4.0.

With a 17RC, i wouldnt sweat it too much with a good AA/TS, GPA. You will likely get many interviews and should get a couple of acceptances.
I had very similar stats so i wouldn't worry too much. hope this helps.
(curious though, did u get a 14 RC or 17RC? the above post mentioned 14 but don't see that anywhere in ur post.)

That reading comp will most definitely hurt you in the admissions process! However, I've noticed that many new schools are willing to look past battle scars, so I would definitely plan on applying to every single one of them and networking with them too! GL

Well now. 14 is one thing. 17 is another.

I had a 17 and had 8 interviews and 7 acceptances. Go for it with your 17! It can be done.

I apologize!

as NDPitch indicated..... 17 RC is fine becuase everything else is good.

However, I'd apply to 15+ schools

With a 17RC, i wouldnt sweat it too much with a good AA/TS, GPA. You will likely get many interviews and should get a couple of acceptances.
I had very similar stats so i wouldn't worry too much. hope this helps.
(curious though, did u get a 14 RC or 17RC? the above post mentioned 14 but don't see that anywhere in ur post.)

I apologize for the confusion, I made a significant typo. I meant 17 RC, not 14. Maybe my brain had fried after taking the DAT that day.

Thank you for your input!! :)

Well now. 14 is one thing. 17 is another.

I had a 17 and had 8 interviews and 7 acceptances. Go for it with your 17! It can be done.

Oh wonderful! Good to hear that!! If you don't mind me asking, how many schools did you apply to?

Oh wonderful! Good to hear that!! If you don't mind me asking, how many schools did you apply to?

I have it all posted on my dmd applicants profile, there's a link under my username.

I applied to UoP this past cycle and when I called I was told I got rejected without interview because I did not make a minimum of 18 on each section. I had a 22AA but only 17bio. I was told to retake the DAT if I wanted to reapply.