Low science GPA. Please help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lighty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My science GPA is very very low. I just changed my major from biology to anthropology. The science program at my institution is very math oriented, and math is not my thing.

Anyway, my low science GPA is a 2.33. What do you guys think?

General Chemistry I

3 credits B-

General Chemistry Lab I

1 credit A

General Chemistry II

3 credits C+

General Chemistry Lab II

1 credit B-

Biology I

4 Credits B

Biology II

4 credits C+

Organic Chemistry I

3 credits C+

Organic Chemistry Lab I

1 credit B

Organic Chemistry II

3 credits C

Organic Chemistry Lab II

1 credit B

College Algebra

4 credits B

Precalculus

4 Credits C+

Calculus I

4 credits C

Calculus II

4 Credits D

Total Credits 36
Grade Point
Average 2.33

Members don't see this ad.

Outstanding performance on your OAT will definitely increase your chances. I would recommend giving a few schools a call and explain your situation. See what they think since they will be the ones making the decision.

Hey guys my science GPA sucks and "math is not my thing". Can I go into a profession where I'll be doing science and math for four years and then for the rest of my life? Help!

Members don't see this ad :)
My science GPA is very very low. I just changed my major from biology to anthropology. The science program at my institution is very math oriented, and math is not my thing.

Anyway, my low science GPA is a 2.33. What do you guys think?

General Chemistry I

3 credits B-

General Chemistry Lab I

1 credit A

General Chemistry II

3 credits C+

General Chemistry Lab II

1 credit B-

Biology I

4 Credits B

Biology II

4 credits C+

Organic Chemistry I

3 credits C+

Organic Chemistry Lab I

1 credit B

Organic Chemistry II

3 credits C

Organic Chemistry Lab II

1 credit B

College Algebra

4 credits B

Precalculus

4 Credits C+

Calculus I

4 credits C

Calculus II

4 Credits D

Total Credits 36
Grade Point
Average 2.33

Are you asking whether these figures place you in a competitive position in applying to optometry school? You already know they do not. People sometimes can cite extenuating circumstances for a few bad grades, but these poor marks span several semesters, and they do so consistently.

Other than this, I don't believe there's much anyone can say in reply to this thread: all you've provided is your grades, and I'm sure you already know they're not stelllar.

You can repeat the courses you got a C in and the schools will consider the higher grade onto your GPA and wipe out the older grade. However, you must take it in the same institution.

Also, doing very well on the OAT will offset your GPA. - This applies to some schools. Some schools might be strict. Your best bet is to call the schools admissions and ask them what you can do to be a stronger candidate.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Hey,

You should go ahead and take Physics 1,2,Microbio,biochem and then see how your gpa is? Maybe take a few "other sciences" courses and average them all!

It's never too late, but you have to realize they need to find a reason to let you in. What you've shown so far is not good enough but you can take classes over and if you get really good grades you can try and offset your other bad grades. People face this all the time even students who have graduated already and needed to go do courses over post bacc. If you are motivated you will take classes over and get A's in the rest of your classes. How motivated you are will show in your efforts now after you've decided you want to do optometry. Contacting schools and explaining your situation is a great way to get specific advice on what to to in order to become competitive.

Last edited:
You can repeat the courses you got a C in and the schools will consider the higher grade onto your GPA and wipe out the older grade.

I'd verify this both with the schools to which you wish to apply, and with that at which you'll re-take courses.

To be honest, if you're trying and still getting those grades, optometry schools will tear you apart. I strongly suggest retaking those classes. The schools usually average them it wipe out the old grade, and that completely depends on the school.

You'll need to get an amazing score on the OAT to even have a shot with those grades. You need to prove you can get A's in those classes. Also, optometry has a good amount to math in it.. If you really aren't good at math, especially if you can't get an A in algebra, you may want to consider another career path.

I know it's harsh, but it's the truth. Good luck to you.

To be honest, if you're trying and still getting those grades, optometry schools will tear you apart. I strongly suggest retaking those classes. The schools usually average them it wipe out the old grade, and that completely depends on the school.

You'll need to get an amazing score on the OAT to even have a shot with those grades. You need to prove you can get A's in those classes. Also, optometry has a good amount to math in it.. If you really aren't good at math, especially if you can't get an A in algebra, you may want to consider another career path.

I know it's harsh, but it's the truth. Good luck to you.

I agree with this too. A love of science and math are actually what originally motivated me into this field. So if those aren't your strong areas, then you should definitely reflect on why you are choosing optometry. But if you were taking a full load of classes and feel like maybe you just weren't putting your 100% into those classes, then that's certainly an understandable reason for your grades (at least a reason for why they happened - not an excuse for them to admit you to opt school though). In that case, then you should definitely retake them and show you can get A's.

Math is important so that you can understand focal lengths, convert between contact and glasses Rx's, etc. Science is important for understanding drug interactions and effects, neurology and what's going on in the brain, pathology, etc. If those things don't make you excited, then this probably isn't for you.

It's never too late, but you have to realize they need to find a reason to let you in. What you've shown so far is not good enough but you can take classes over and if you get really good grades you can try and offset your other bad grades. People face this all the time even students who have graduated already and needed to go do courses over post bacc. If you are motivated you will take classes over and get A's in the rest of your classes. How motivated you are will show in your efforts now after you've decided you want to do optometry. Contacting schools and explaining your situation is a great way to get specific advice on what to to in order to become competitive.
Thank you for the encouragement

I feel you should also thank the other people in this thread who offered you a dose of reality. You likely won't get this from your family or friends. Analyze your situation objectively (identify your weaknesses, realize that at this point in time this is not a realistic or particularly wise career choice), and then use this knowledge to improve. If you selectively choose advice that is emotionally satisfying, this could lead to failure.

TL;DR: Keep it real.

I think that's stock advice given to anyone who presents poor grades, then seeks advice (i.e., someone to tell him said grades are impertinent). The fact is, pulling "all 'A's" is difficult — it's difficult for anyone; I'd suggest the original poster not illusion himself with the feasibility of this task. Of course, it's possible; but, how likely is it? He should ask himself, "If "A"s were cake to earn, why didn't I get them?" Once he has his answer, ask whether he'll now, for whatever reason, realistically manage to earn them.

I say this not to be discouraging, but to encourage some thought to share the ride with what may instead be blind (and expensive) hope.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bottom line is, you should go into this thinking this is your last chance to show you can handle a rigorous curriculum such as one you will face in any optometry program. You didnt do so well in your intro bio, orgo, and gen chem classes, but if you can do really well on those sections on the oat and possibly take some of those classes over then you can explain your previous low grades by saying you were not sure about your career. Then you can say now that optometry is your goal you are ready to prove you can do what it takes, etc. Im not trying to paint an unrealistic rosy picture here, you will have to work your brains out but if you are serious about the committment then it will reflect in your efforts. This is far from blind hope. I mentioned that you should aim for A grades because realistically you need excellent grades to offset your other ones. If you dont do well your first semester after making this your goal then consider something else. There is absolutely no way around it you have to show you can do well in science courses.

Last edited:
I feel you should also thank the other people in this thread who offered you a dose of reality. You likely won't get this from your family or friends. Analyze your situation objectively (identify your weaknesses, realize that at this point in time this is not a realistic or particularly wise career choice), and then use this knowledge to improve. If you selectively choose advice that is emotionally satisfying, this could lead to failure.

TL;DR: Keep it real.
I don't really appreciate condescending comments.

Have a nice day!

Outstanding performance on your OAT will definitely increase your chances. I would recommend giving a few schools a call and explain your situation. See what they think since they will be the ones making the decision.
Thanks a lot. I spoke to PCO admissions. They told me the following: "As for your science GPA, we recommend having at least a 3.0 at the time that you apply. If my math is right, using the OptomCAS GPA scale and just the courses that count as science credit, right now you have a 2.68 science GPA. This is below the average/recommended score, so we would suggest taking some additional upper level biology and science courses to improve that GPA. You also have a few prerequisites such as Microbiology and Physics which will also be factored into that GPA calculation."

Does other sciences factor into that?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Have a nice day!

I wouldnt consider his comment condescending at all. This person is telling it to you as it is. If you cant accept some negative feedback, I would suggest that you should not post questions on this forum since there are many more people that wont sugarcoat their advice.

The only good news is that you only have 36 credit hours, but you will literally have to get all A's from now on. Plus rather than getting a mix of A's B's and C's on your transcript you can show that you got your crap together and improved your GPA majorly, which will prove that you are capable and dedicated. Also i'd retake as many classes as possible if you can and even boost your GPA with some easy courses over the summer or online through your college.

If you continue to get these grades you have no chance, you probably can't even afford to get B's from here on out but hopefully it's not too late. Just put the effort in and don't let up, good luck.

Have a nice day!

It really wasn't condescending at all.
The reality is, getting into optometry school is probably the easiest step.

There are excellent students who drop out of school first, second, or third year. There are students who do not pass Boards, whether it be part I, II, or III.
There are students who simply don't cut it in clinic. The standards in admission are there for a reason, and a seat will not be offered to you "because you have a passion," I assure you this is on everybody's application.
Best of luck

Those are only my science courses. I am already a senior.

The only good news is that you only have 36 credit hours, but you will literally have to get all A's from now on. Plus rather than getting a mix of A's B's and C's on your transcript you can show that you got your crap together and improved your GPA majorly, which will prove that you are capable and dedicated. Also i'd retake as many classes as possible if you can and even boost your GPA with some easy courses over the summer or online through your college.

If you continue to get these grades you have no chance, you probably can't even afford to get B's from here on out but hopefully it's not too late. Just put the effort in and don't let up, good luck.
Those are only my science courses. I'm already a senior.