Low score on UWSA1, very confused... advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zora98

The Stethoscope Weilder
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Decided to order both UWSA's for step 2 and I took the first one today. Got a 218, which was really surprising for me.

As of yet, I'm still going through UW and have 900 questions left, with 65% correct on questions. I'm using this and Zanki to review my incorrects. I take my exam on August 18th.

Maybe I just need to go through the rest of the UW questions and then take UWSA 2 next week to see an improvement? Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Decided to push back my exam to September 5th. So what can I to to improve my study efficiency moving forward?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm still studying for it as well so take the following with a grain of salt. I think it's important to get through all of UW before being able to realistically assess yourself. I did all of UW plus my incorrects with a bit of OME and took NBME 6 right after. Got a 217. Then I reset it and shored up some weaker points with more OME, and proceeded to go through my UW notes that I'd made and also do 120 questions a day for my 2nd round of UW on random timed. 2 weeks and ~1100 questions later, I took UWSA1 and got a 242. No magic potion, just more UW.

If I'm in your shoes (which I kinda was after NBME 6), I'm going through UW terminator-style. Finish it and make brief notes if you're able. Just tidbits you'd like to remember. Do your incorrects and see how NBME 6 or 8 go. I'd save UWSA2 for later since it's supposed to be the most predictive. But just efficiently go through your weaknesses. You know those words or phrases that come up in questions that you can't stand? The ones that make you groan and just pick an answer so you don't have to sit there and stew in the stupidity that is that topic? Yeah, do more of those. Do them until you love them and can answer them every which way. If you keep missing them, just sit and ask yourself where the breakdown in your knowledge seems to be. Is it next best step? Classification of treatment? Basic pathophysiology? Write it down and don't miss it again.

Pushing your exam to Sept 5th was the right call, but you still don't have a lot of time. Get through UW quickly and efficiently and see where you end up. Hope this was helpful. Good luck!

Just keep going!!!!
Finish your first pass! Give yourself a few days and start your second pass!

I took an NBME before I finished my first pass of Uworld and I was a bit discouraged also.
Right after Uworld I took NBME7 and got a 220. Still a bit upset.
My first pass average was 65% as well.
Now I'm 1/3 done w my second pass and took UWSA1 today and got a 244.
Just goes to show the more blocks you do the better off you are.

I also did OME in between blocks.

Thanks so much for the advice, you two! I now have a better plan moving forward.

Members don't see this ad :)
Feeling really down right now... took UWSA 2 for Step 2 CK and got a 212.

At this point, I just pray that I pass and score at least above my Step 1 score (220). I'm not postponing again. I felt like I've forgotten so much in the last two weeks...

Anyone have any advice on how to move forward? At this point, I'll go over the exam and watch some OME. I've been using the Zanki step 2 deck throughout to go over my incorrect.

Sorry to hear that, but I still think you're in decent position to score in the 220s or maybe even 230s with a generous curve. Go over the exam and UW notes. I know your exam is in a couple days, so try to manage your anxiety and just prepare to perform well on game day. Get some solid rest and have your snacks (maybe an energy drink as well) ready to go. Best of luck!!!

Sorry to hear that, but I still think you're in decent position to score in the 220s or maybe even 230s with a generous curve. Go over the exam and UW notes. I know your exam is in a couple days, so try to manage your anxiety and just prepare to perform well on game day. Get some solid rest and have your snacks (maybe an energy drink as well) ready to go. Best of luck!!!

Thanks for the words of encouragement... not going to give up!

Would you happen to know of a good source for UW notes? I made my own, but only for a part of my incorrects. I would like to see someone else's for a more comprehensive review.

Thanks for the words of encouragement... not going to give up!

Would you happen to know of a good source for UW notes? I made my own, but only for a part of my incorrects. I would like to see someone else's for a more comprehensive review.
PM me your email and I'll send you what I have