Low stat DO applicants, how did your cycle go

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

catcatcat45

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you could share GPA, MCAT, any upward trends, URM/ORM
(Just a reminder that a 3.4-3.5 GPA is not low stat for DO unless you have like a sub500 mcat)

Members don't see this ad.

3.19/507, DIY pbGPA 3.98 (30 units), 5 II, 1 interview attended, 1 acceptance.

Reactions: 2 users
3.19/507, DIY pbGPA 3.98 (30 units), 5 II, 1 interview attended, 1 acceptance.
Congratulations! URM/ORM? Also when did you apply and to how many schools? I’m also low stat, need some extra time for MCAT, and I’m thinking of applying later

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! URM/ORM? Also when did you apply and to how many schools? I’m also low stat, need some extra time for MCAT, and I’m thinking of applying later
Don’t take the mcat until you are ready even if it pushes you behind another cycle

Reactions: 2 users
4 II, 3 waitlists, still waiting on one answer. Wish I saved money and didnt apply any MD and put more into my DO apps. Definitely wish I had a stronger tie to DO than just virtual shadowing, so I would recommend shadowing and getting letter of rec from a DO

Reactions: 1 user
3.35, 518, ORM CA Resident. Great extracurriculars, research (1 first-author pub). 42 (~30 MDs/~10 DOs) primaries, 0 MD II, 3 DO II (1 withdrawn, 1 WL, 1 A). Thankful for the 1 A but otherwise pretty surprised at the lack of any other invites.

ORM (asian)

cGPA: 3.5x
sGPA: 3.4x
SMP GPA: 3.8x

MCAT:
  • 502 (1st attempt)
  • 500 (2nd attempt)
  • 502 (3rd attempt)

Extracurricular's: average to great

Applied to 17 DO schools:
  • 7 II (2 A, 2 WL)
  • Only attended 4 because I got the acceptance at my top choice early. I declined 3 II some of which were to top DO schools
Quick notes:
  • Currently on my 3rd app cycle
  • I applied during the same time (end of July to early August) for all 3 cycles
  • IMO, the SMP made the biggest difference in my application. I applied during the 2019 - 2020 cycle and only got 2 II both of which ended up with a post-II R. 2nd term was a little weird because I only applied to my SMP school since I did not change anything from the previous cycle and schools would not get my grades until December. The only thing that changed for all 3 cycles was the addition of my SMP grades. All of my MCAT's were taken prior to the SMP and I essentially did not volunteering or shadowing during the SMP to maintain my grades.

Reactions: 1 users
ORM (asian)

cGPA: 3.5x
sGPA: 3.4x
SMP GPA: 3.8x

MCAT:
  • 502 (1st attempt)
  • 500 (2nd attempt)
  • 502 (3rd attempt)

Extracurricular's: average to great

Applied to 17 DO schools:
  • 7 II (2 A, 2 WL)
  • Only attended 4 because I got the acceptance at my top choice early. I declined 3 II some of which were to top DO schools
Quick notes:
  • Currently on my 3rd app cycle
  • I applied during the same time (end of July to early August) for all 3 cycles
  • IMO, the SMP made the biggest difference in my application. I applied during the 2019 - 2020 cycle and only got 2 II both of which ended up with a post-II R. 2nd term was a little weird because I only applied to my SMP school since I did not change anything from the previous cycle and schools would not get my grades until December. The only thing that changed for all 3 cycles was the addition of my SMP grades. All of my MCAT's were taken prior to the SMP and I essentially did not volunteering or shadowing during the SMP to maintain my grades.
Did you apply DO the first 2 cycles as well?

Yes I only applied DO for all 3 cycles. I didn't want to waste any money on MD apps with my low MCAT and being asian
How many DOs did you apply the first cycle? I’m really surprised someone with ur stats didn’t have luck with DO the first time

ORM (asian)

cGPA 3.0x
sGPA 2.9x
SMP GPA 4.0
MCAT 507 (one attempt)

First cycle, applied only to my top choice DO (linkage/guaranteed interview) and accepted (low uGPA, mid MCAT, ORM from CA — didn’t mind taking the high risk, high reward)

How many DOs did you apply the first cycle? I’m really surprised someone with ur stats didn’t have luck with DO the first time
I applied to 15 the first time. The biggest thing holding me back was the MCAT score. I showed no improvement from taking it 3 times so that was the biggest red flag.

ORM (asian)

cGPA 3.0x
sGPA 2.9x
SMP GPA 4.0
MCAT 507 (one attempt)

First cycle, applied only to my top choice DO (linkage/guaranteed interview) and accepted (low uGPA, mid MCAT, ORM from CA — didn’t mind taking the high risk, high
ORM (asian)

cGPA 3.0x
sGPA 2.9x
SMP GPA 4.0
MCAT 507 (one attempt)

First cycle, applied only to my top choice DO (linkage/guaranteed interview) and accepted (low uGPA, mid MCAT, ORM from CA — didn’t mind taking the high risk, high reward)
Were you accepted through a linkage with your SMP program

Members don't see this ad :)
ORM.

2 DO LOR, extensive clinical hours/volunteering.

Applied to 32 schools in late June.

ORM, 3.7X sGPA and cGPA, mcat: 496,503. Applied to 28 schools, II: 7, A: 4, Waitlist: 2. I applied in July and sent my secondaries in September. I went very in-depth on my secondaries and practiced my interviews. 1 DO LOR but a lot of clinical and research experiences.

ORM

3.6+ cGPA, 3.7+ sGPA, 3.8+ M.Sc GPA, MCAT: 498 (even split with a 126 subsection), 498 (Improved in everything but cars (<123... yikes)).

Applied to 1 school for verification, II: 1, A/WL: Not sure, but I should be hearing back within the next week or two.

I honestly gave up on applying this semester once my MCAT score was released, so the interview kind of hit me out of nowhere. Currently finishing my M.S. and while doing research at an ivy medical school. I have multiple MD/DO LORS, research experiences, clinical experiences, volunteering, ECs (notably: MMA, BJJ and Muay Thai practitioner).

ORM

3.6+ cGPA, 3.7+ sGPA, 3.8+ M.Sc GPA, MCAT: 498 (even split with a 126 subsection), 498 (Improved in everything but cars (<123... yikes)).

Applied to 1 school for verification, II: 1, A/WL: Not sure, but I should be hearing back within the next week or two.

I honestly gave up on applying this semester once my MCAT score was released, so the interview kind of hit me out of nowhere. Currently finishing my M.S. and while doing research at an ivy medical school. I have multiple MD/DO LORS, research experiences, clinical experiences, volunteering, ECs (notably: MMA, BJJ and Muay Thai practitioner).
Your ECs are the same as mine minus the MMA part!

URM, 3.36 cGPA, 32 sGPA, 506 MCAT, excellent extracurriculars and work activities, some (unpublished research), very good letters of recommendation, and interviewing pretty well got me 4 DO acceptances and 2 waitlists at top DO schools out of the 24 schools that I applied to. Also got 2 MD II's out of state (one waitlist and one post II R)

Your ECs are the same as mine minus the MMA part!
Sweet! I was thinking of starting a BJJ club when (more like a huge if) I get into a school lol. I don't wanna give it up :rofl:

Congrats on your success this cycle btw!

Sweet! I was thinking of starting a BJJ club when (more like a huge if) I get into a school lol. I don't wanna give it up :rofl:

Congrats on your success this cycle btw!
Thanks! I hope you do get accepted from your interview! I don’t want to give up BJJ either but if I don’t go for a week I can feel myself forgetting stuff.

Undergrad GPA: 2.75
2 year post bacc: 3.75
1000 hours volunteering
3000 hours CNA
MCAT: 502

5 interviews: 2 waitlist, 1 acceptance, 1 rejection, and 1 TBD

Graduated undergrad with around a 2.3? Then spent 5 years taking masters levels courses to get above a 3.0. Took the MCAT 5 times and my last one was a 509. I’ll be starting med school (DO) this fall.
Congrats!! How big of an upward trend was it? What GPA did you end up with in the end