Low stat WAMC and School list help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jellyheart3

Reaction score
Graduated last May with a BA in bio and a minor in psych. Took the MCAT twice and voided my first attempt but ended up with a 502. I applied to about 9 schools (DO) this current cycle and got one II but then rejected.
My main issue is my GPA. I have a 3.125 cgpa and a 2.95 sgpa. It was slightly lower, but I just took about 10 credits at ucsd extension and got a 3.9 to improve it. I have another 12 credits in progress through ucbx.
My stats are pretty basic, I have a lot of shadowing and just started a job as a mental health tech (PCE) and scribe.
I'm getting ready to apply this cycle and want some help with a school list (DO) as GPA cutoffs would affect me.

My dream school would be RowanSOM as I am an NJ resident, would you guys think I have any chance?

Members don't see this ad.

What have you done to significantly improve your application?
Did you talk to people at the school you interviewed at and then were rejected? What did they have to say?
It might help if you shared more about your activities? Have you shadowed a DO? You say you have lots of shadowing. What else do you have?

If your 12 pending credits increase your sGPA to 3.0 you should receive more interviews. I suggest these schools with your stats:
RowanSOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
DUQCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
LMU-DCOM (all schools)
OCOM
BCOM (both schools)
ACOM
WCU-COM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
BUCOM
UIWSOM
KHSC-COM
MU-COM
RVU-Montana
Touro-Montana
ICOM
ATSU-SOMA
Noorda-COM
D'Youville (when it opens)
Meritus (when it opens)
Apply after you have accumulated 200+ hours of clinical employment.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What have you done to significantly improve your application?
Did you talk to people at the school you interviewed at and then were rejected? What did they have to say?
It might help if you shared more about your activities? Have you shadowed a DO? You say you have lots of shadowing. What else do you have?
I did not have clinical experience last cycle along with the credits I've taken recently. I also applied in December of the last cycle so I'm hoping timing can aid me in this cycle. I did not talk to students at the school, is that something that you believe would help my chances? I have shadowed 3 doctors. 2 of them being DO, one specializing in nephrology and the other in PM&R. I also received letters from these 2 doctors. My ECs are pretty sparse but I'm hoping these 2 clinical experiences help with that. I am also starting EMT volunteering soon.

I did not have clinical experience last cycle along with the credits I've taken recently. I also applied in December of the last cycle so I'm hoping timing can aid me in this cycle. I did not talk to students at the school, is that something that you believe would help my chances? I have shadowed 3 doctors. 2 of them being DO, one specializing in nephrology and the other in PM&R. I also received letters from these 2 doctors. My ECs are pretty sparse but I'm hoping these 2 clinical experiences help with that. I am also starting EMT volunteering soon.
I didn’t mean talking to students. I meant talking to staff in the admissions offices.
Since you don’t really seem to want to share with us what your application looks like, there really isn’t much advice we can give you. One thing you did mention is applying late(December). Don’t do that again. Apply in early June and have your secondaries completed by Labor Day. By December many interviews have been held and lots of acceptances have been offered too.
Good Luck.

I didn’t mean talking to students. I meant talking to staff in the admissions offices.
Since you don’t really seem to want to share with us what your application looks like, there really isn’t much advice we can give you. One thing you did mention is applying late(December). Don’t do that again. Apply in early June and have your secondaries completed by Labor Day. By December many interviews have been held and lots of acceptances have been offered too.
Good Luck.
I am willing to share my application and I've shared all aspects of it. My application isn't the most seasoned which is why I am making this post in the first place and am looking for some guidance. I'm not sure which part of my app I haven't mentioned but if you let me know, I am more than willing to share. And yes, I will make sure to apply early this cycle. Thank you for the tip!

I am willing to share my application and I've shared all aspects of it. My application isn't the most seasoned which is why I am making this post in the first place and am looking for some guidance. I'm not sure which part of my app I haven't mentioned but if you let me know, I am more than willing to share. And yes, I will make sure to apply early this cycle. Thank you for the tip!
When are you planning to submit? If it's just the clinical experience, do you feel you have a better shot? Why Rowan?

When are you planning to submit? If it's just the clinical experience, do you feel you have a better shot? Why Rowan?
I am planning to submit by the end of May. I am hoping it provides me a better shot but there's no real way of being able to tell. Rowan SOM is my dream choice as I am an NJ resident and I've heard nothing but positive things about that school.

I am planning to submit by the end of May. I am hoping it provides me a better shot but there's no real way of being able to tell. Rowan SOM is my dream choice as I am an NJ resident and I've heard nothing but positive things about that school.
What do you think about Rowan DO vs. Rowan MD?