Low Step 1 Baseline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teacozy88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know this isn't the typical SDN thread, but I'm hoping to get some advice, and maybe it'll help others in my situation. I'm a US student, just took NBME 6 for a baseline and did really bad (151). I have 7-8 weeks from now to study for Step 1 and am hoping for something in the 205-215 range. Since my foundation is so weak, I'm planning on using Pathoma, DIT, FA, BRS Phys, and Clinical Neuro Made Ridiculously Simple during the first 3-4 weeks interspersed with UWorld (hoping to finish 25%). Then in my last 4 weeks I'm planning to stick to UWorld (finish the other 75%) FA, and Pathoma. I was also going to take at least 3 more NBME's. Is it realistically possible to go up 65-75 pts from my super low baseline in 7-8 weeks? Would appreciate any advice! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, I would argue that a baseline is essentially meaningless; if you haven't seen a ton of the material in a while, of course you're not going to do so hot. I think it's more useful to check your score after your first pass through the material (whatever that is for you, FA, DIT, etc) and see how much you were able to retain.

So yeah, I would say that the score you're aiming for is totally doable :)

Honestly, I would argue that a baseline is essentially meaningless; if you haven't seen a ton of the material in a while, of course you're not going to do so hot. I think it's more useful to check your score after your first pass through the material (whatever that is for you, FA, DIT, etc) and see how much you were able to retain.

So yeah, I would say that the score you're aiming for is totally doable :)
Agreed. Do a pass or 2 thru the material and then evaluate. See what areas are weak and ATTACK!

Pathoma and FA are great resources. After learning the material, you better do 100% of USMLE World or I'm going to beat you cast iron baseball bat.

Baseline is completely meaningless. I know people who scored 170 on the CBSE and ended up with 240s on the real thing. Don't worry about it, just study your butt off.