Low Step 1, good step 2 Psych competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loureed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Like the title says Step 1: 211 and Step 2: 251. I have to imagine a good trajectory adds something but not sure how many programs to apply to with COVID complicating things. 4/5 quintile as far as preclinical grades so not horrible but certainly not good. No red flags, and really good comments from 3rd year clerkships and I'm looking to stay northeast but that's not a must. Any advice on number of programs I should be applying to?

Members don't see this ad.

As a DO applying in 2017-18 cycle with no Step scores (worse Level scores if converting), worse pre-clinical class rank (~50 percentile for clinical), and strong LORs/clinical comments, I applied to 75 and got 9 interviews (8/9 in midwest, 1 in NE). Applying to the NE will be more competitive than most areas other than probably Cali, but being and MD will also help you.

Can't give specifics on number you should apply to, but don't go too top heavy and apply to a few outside the NE where you have some geographic connection and/or strong reasoning to apply and you'll likely be fine. If you go to med school in the NE, that will likely help your odds there, otherwise apply to some programs in your med school's area as I'm sure this would only be to your benefit.