Low step 1, mediocre clinical grades - please advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpppplease121

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a US MS3 in a bit of a bind and could really use any and all advice from those who are familiar with peds residency programs. Without getting into too much detail or making excuses, my step 1 score stinks. I got a 205. I've already registered for step 2 and plan to take in June or July so that the score will be ready for residency programs.

As for the rest of my app, I have mostly P's for third year thus far, except HP in peds and family med. I am on ob and still have surgery left and will do everything I can to get hp or honors.

I have done research but no pubs, also have good extracurriculars.

Am I going to have difficulty matching at a mid to low-tier program? What can I do to maximize my chances of matching at an academic program? Please help.

I will hopefully be meeting with a clinical advisor at my school soon, but they have been less than helpful and take days to respond to emails. I'm also concerned about my ability to get good letters of recc, especially when they see my low step 1 score.

Any advice? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Do your best to crush step 2. Research helps but if you have not already started something it will be hard to do it. Start looking at places you would be interested in going to residency and make sure to schedule audition rotations there. Having a good audition rotation and getting letters of rec from those places can make up for a poor step 1 score. Getting along well with the residents also works in your favor. As long as you aren't socially awkward you should not have a problem matching some where! Best of luck to you.

I would agree with the what zafonte said. Make sure you take step 2 when you are prepared so you can crush it. Do UWSA/NBME's to guage your performance, and don't rush it. Though I have learnt a lot of programs use Step 1 cutoffs, and it serves as a 'foot through the door', you can compensate for a low score by research, extracurriculars and most importantly awesome LoRs. Shine in your audition rotations, talk to your adviser and see what else you can do. And another thing with research, it doesn't have to be in a lab; you could do public health, clinic stuff, or even reviews/editorials with faculty members which are easier to do as a student than work in a lab for two years and secure perhaps one or two publications.

You're fine. My steps were 203 and 209 and I still got over 20 interviews. Just apply broadly and get letters during your pediatric elective rotations when you can be one on one with the attending.