Low STEP 1 score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wes431

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm devastated by my low step 1 score of 191/77. I studied everyday for 6 months and feel like I wasted a lot of time. I was getting between 210-220 on all my nbme exams. I took nbme 7 a couple days before the step 1 and got a 218. Had 66% in usmleworld also. So I don't know how I did so poorly. Do I still have a chance of getting a residency? Any chance for IM residency? I'm from one of the better Carribean schools and will be doing my rotations in the states.

Members don't see this ad.

oh man. im soryr to hear that.

if i were you i would focus on building a rock solid CV (research, publications, clerkships stellar LORs etc) and working towards that 99 for 2ck.

best of luck.

I'm devastated by my low step 1 score of 191/77. I studied everyday for 6 months and feel like I wasted a lot of time. I was getting between 210-220 on all my nbme exams. I took nbme 7 a couple days before the step 1 and got a 218. Had 66% in usmleworld also. So I don't know how I did so poorly. Do I still have a chance of getting a residency? Any chance for IM residency? I'm from one of the better Carribean schools and will be doing my rotations in the states.

You are scaring me.

But really, how is it even possible? 66% on UW is stellar. Did something big go badly wrong on the exam day? Can you reason with this in any way?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is terrible advice.

But the best advice I can give you is I know it sucks, but you still passed.

really? what advice do you suggest? do nothing and wallow? because yeah, that's gonna land a good residency spot for sure, right?

my point was that its not the end of the word. yes, it sucks, but you cant change what already happened, you cant re-take the exam, if you want a shot at a residency you want, you have to compensate in other ways.

Last edited: