Low Step 1. What does this mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontradst

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got my Step 1 score back today: 201. Very low, I know. I am interested in matching at a program in the southeast (e.g., Emory, UF, UAB, MUSC). How likely is it that I will get interviews to places like this, or other programs in the same tier throughout the rest of the country? I have tons of research experience, pubs, leadership experience on my CV, which am hoping will help. I should also mention that I go to a U.S. allopathic med school. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly probably not much. With a lower score, you might maybe want to get Step 2 done early enough to submit just so programs will know you passed it. I don't think Step 1 scores are particularly important in psychiatry, though, and while those programs are good, they're not ridiculously competitive. You also have other good things on your application that probably matter more.

Members don't see this ad :)
I came across this thread not long ago:http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/for-thos-that-matched-this-year.186599/, where people were getting interviews at tons of prestigious places with scores similar mine. Though, I wasn't sure if the same pattern would apply now, since that application cycle was 10 years ago.
Whoa, I know this is 10 years ago but some guy with 199/205 steps got an interview at MGH? Does this mean that even the TOP psych programmes don't have step 1/2 cutoffs? (Or at least they didn't a decade ago?)

Don't think it will kill your chances at all. Apply broadly, and agree that you should try to get step 2 done early and with a much better score.

Wasn't the US average on step 1 around ~220 and psych average around ~210 a decade ago?

You need to apply broadly, and to plenty of "low tier" SE places like UAB, Augusta, USC Greenville in addition to what would be reaches for you (Emory, MUSC, Vanderbilt, Duke, UNC).

I know I have said this before, but programs that claim to have score cut offs, don’t really, and places that claim they don’t have cut offs behave just like they do. Sure there are some exceptions where certain applicant interests or experiences overcome weak scores, but this happens equally in places with and without cut offs. If a program isn’t getting enough interviews with their cut offs, they will lower the bar. If a place doesn’t have cut offs and they are being flooded, they will invite the highest scores until they have enough. Programs can say whatever they want, their behavior is the same.

Reactions: 1 user
While Psychiatry is not a battlefield and scores are not as important, it is also not 10 years ago. In general, there has been a bump in US MDs applying for Psychiatry. I would apply broadly enough like 20-30 programs across the Southeast. I know some folks that did not do that last year and were unpleasantly surprised come match day.

Also, getting a solid Step 2 will go a long way in getting you in somewhere solid. Also, obviously the interview is very important.