Low Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lorian99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm an M3 USMD at my state school in the midwest hoping to go into psychiatry and my first-attempt step 1 score is a 206. I'm devastated - none of my practice test scores were even close to a 206. I went to med school to do psychiatry and I still plan to apply next year. I'm willing to go anywhere, even North Dakota to do psych. What should I do to make myself more competitive from here on out?

For some context, I have no red flags. I honored my psych rotation and got great evals. HP'ed every other core rotation with 1 pass in surgery. I have a few psych EC's from preclinical but nothing too substantial. I'm also planning to do a psych sub-i and some electives this summer before ERAS.

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like otherwise you are a solid candidate. How did you do in your preclinical years? Unfortunately, your step 1 score means getting a solid step 2 score is more important. There are some programs that will screen you out based on your score, but not too many. Crush your sub-I, get good letters, write a solid PS and apply broadly to a range of programs (as you should anyhow).

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,

I'm an M3 USMD at my state school in the midwest hoping to go into psychiatry and my first-attempt step 1 score is a 206. I'm devastated - none of my practice test scores were even close to a 206. I went to med school to do psychiatry and I still plan to apply next year. I'm willing to go anywhere, even North Dakota to do psych. What should I do to make myself more competitive from here on out?

For some context, I have no red flags. I honored my psych rotation and got great evals. HP'ed every other core rotation with 1 pass in surgery. I have a few psych EC's from preclinical but nothing too substantial. I'm also planning to do a psych sub-i and some electives this summer before ERAS.

lol....you're fine. Your score is fine for psych. Even if you failed step 1 and then pass it the next time, it would be fine and you wouldn't have to go to north dakota lol....

Is it ideal that you have a 206 instead of a higher score? I guess not. But this is psych. Are there some programs who you won't match at now due to that score? Sure....but you still will match at a perfectly decent program and you will be fine.

Relax.

Members don't see this ad :)
I knew DO's who had equivalent scores on COMLEX and no step who matched. You're a USMD, do well otherwise and you're going to match.

Apologies for the neuroticism, I suppose I lost perspective after seeing my score. Thank you for the responses!

Apologies for the neuroticism, I suppose I lost perspective after seeing my score. Thank you for the responses!
It's your career, something you're passionate about, and you've seen how Match went for psych the last two years. Natural reaction.

Reactions: 3 users