Low Step 1

Started by Jayblue79
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Jayblue79

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What kind of Neuro residencies can one reasonably expect to get into if their Step 1 score is on the lower end of the spectrum? Would it be a scenario where the best you could hope for is and poorer quality program in an undesirable location? Assume an average AMG student.

Thanks
 
My Step 1 was extremely poor, and I matched into a very good program. Neuro is not a field where you are SOL after a poor Step 1; programs really look at the whole package. Maybe the top tier schools will be out of reach, but you will have tons of options if your application is otherwise good.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also, if you are an MD/PhD with 14 first author publications, a low step 1 might not even exclude you from the top programs. Not everyone where I trained was super focused on step 1 during med-school.

If your application shows a low step 1 but 2 Nature articles in the same year, I think people might understand 🙂
 
Also, if you are an MD/PhD with 14 first author publications, a low step 1 might not even exclude you from the top programs. Not everyone where I trained was super focused on step 1 during med-school.

If your application shows a low step 1 but 2 Nature articles in the same year, I think people might understand 🙂


What if you have 2 Ph.Ds?