Low Step 2 DO Pediatrics Match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I got my step 2 score back this week it was a 223. I know this is low and I was scoring 230s and around 240s near the end of dedicated. I was shocked when I saw the score. I am a DO student hoping to apply to pediatrics residency this September. Can anyone give advice if even showing this score on my app will be beneficial I feel like it’s so low.

I have a pretty well rounded app with research, volunteer activities and good preceptor comments, LORS etc. I feel like this step 2 score will hold me back. If I do show it will programs just not give me an interview even though the rest of my app is good. If I don’t show it will I be auto screened from programs for not even having a step 2 score. I did not take step 1. I passed all of my board exams on the first time and never failed any classes. Just seeking advice if anyone from anyone who had similar scores applied peds last year and what schools offered interviews. I am applying mostly in the mid west (Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Iowa) and hoping to get residency in this area. I think I will apply to around 100 programs after seeing the step 2 score. What are your thoughts please give advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty sure if you have a pulse, you can match peds, esp in the Midwest. You might not get the best academic places but you will easily match

Pretty sure if you have a pulse, you can match peds, esp in the Midwest. You might not get the best academic places but you will easily match
Thank you. Are there any places I can look for residency programs that don't screen based on low scores or don't have cutoffs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bruh, you don’t even need step 1/2 to match peds. I know people from my class that match peds in good academic programs with below average comlex. You’ll be more than fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Bruh, you don’t even need step 1/2 to match peds. I know people from my class that match peds in good academic programs with below average comlex. You’ll be more than fine.
If my comlex level 2 is high should I still include the low Step 2 ck do you think it would be beneficial and open doors to more academic programs if i get 600+ on level 2?

If my comlex level 2 is high should I still include the low Step 2 ck do you think it would be beneficial and open doors to more academic programs if i get 600+ on level 2?
If you pass Step 1/2, there’s no reason not to include it in your application. It’s been proven before that a low step score is more helpful than a high comlex when it comes to residency applications. Also, it might help you get into a higher tier peds academic programs.

Reactions: 1 users
I don’t think Comlex will help at MD residencies because you have the Step2 score to compare. But you passed both, that’s great and you likely have a great chance at some great programs in the Midwest. In fact you might even have a chance at programs like Wash U. Anecdotally I have heard they’ll take DO’s if you have Step scores, and I know people who got a Subi with Comlex only.

They don’t like failures because of abnormally high first time fail rate (designed that way imo) but as long as you don’t fail anything you’ll be fine.

They don’t like failures because of abnormally high first time fail rate (designed that way imo) but as long as you don’t fail anything you’ll be fine.
Do you think mid tier academic places would be achievable with the low step score or just apply to mostly low tier and community programs?

I don’t think Comlex will help at MD residencies because you have the Step2 score to compare. But you passed both, that’s great and you likely have a great chance at some great programs in the Midwest. In fact you might even have a chance at programs like Wash U. Anecdotally I have heard they’ll take DO’s if you have Step scores, and I know people who got a Subi with Comlex only.
Thank you! I will check into it I was trying to find a list of pediatric residency programs that favored DOs/IMGs. Most likely will apply to all programs in the Midwest though.

If you pass Step 1/2, there’s no reason not to include it in your application. It’s been proven before that a low step score is more helpful than a high comlex when it comes to residency applications. Also, it might help you get into a higher tier peds academic programs.
Thank you! I will include it then I was afraid such a low score would hinder me more than help me to get into low or mid tier academic programs.

Do you think mid tier academic places would be achievable with the low step score or just apply to mostly low tier and community programs?
Check residency explorer (will need your aamc credentials to log in), and you will get answers to all your questions. You can literally see stats for people that have matched in the past and percentage of DO for each specific program.

More than achievable with a 223. I would apply to some low academic as back up. You can forgo community

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! I will check into it I was trying to find a list of pediatric residency programs that favored DOs/IMGs. Most likely will apply to all programs in the Midwest though.
There are a lot less programs you would have trouble at compared to me trying to list every program where you will be fine. The 223 is honestly a non-factor unless you wanted cincy, Texas Children’s, chop or the like. You can even apply coastal with that score and will have decent success. If you have specific geography you are aiming then you can shoot me a message and I can give you some programs. I was pretty neurotic when applying so I have tons of knowledge on peds programs.. although it could be dated lol. But the way sdn reports matches, I think it would be dated in a good way.

Reactions: 1 user