Low step1 score of 212

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wildflower7

Reaction score
Hi doctors. PLEASE HELP ME OUT HERE!
Got my step 1 score yesterday. Its 212. I am an IMG graduated a year ago. Can i hope for Internal Medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

How does the rest of your ERAS application look?
I graduated almost a year ago. I prepared for usmle while i was working. Thats it. I am not done with anything else. Any suggestions would be great.

Members don't see this ad :)
So we get that it’s not “done” yet, but what potentially will you have on your application. 212 step score and many pubs and you were a rocket scientist in your previous life? Or 212 step and you have spent a decade of your life in prison?

Reactions: 1 user
No. Nothing yet.
As an IMG, with YOG over a year ago, you are going to need strong evidence of clinical strength (letters).
Additionally you will need a really strong step 2 and an application that includes every place that currently has a lot of IMG's.
Remember, YOG and IMG are both filters for PD's. Every year that passes decreases the number of sites that might interview you.
You might need to consider a dual application to FM as well.

Last edited:
So we get that it’s not “done” yet, but what potentially will you have on your application. 212 step score and many pubs and you were a rocket scientist in your previous life? Or 212 step and you have spent a decade of your life
So we get that it’s not “done” yet, but what potentially will you have on your application. 212 step score and many pubs and you were a rocket scientist in your previous life? Or 212 step and you have spent a decade of your life in prison?
i am planning to take my step2 ck and cs soon within 6-7 months.. and will to observerships.. apply for 2021 match,.. all i am asking is, do i stand a chance with that score for IM??

As an IMG, with YOG over a year ago, you are going to need strong evidence of clinical strength (letters).
Additionally you will need a really strong step 2 and an application that includes every place that currently has a lot of IMG's.
Remember YOG and IMG are both filters for PD's. Every year that passes decreases the number of sites that might interview you.
You might need to consider a dual application to FM as well.
Yes.. i have LORs from 2 places i worked in.. thank you for your advice

To answer your very basic question, the answer is yes, you can hope for IM--per charting outcomes, about 34% of non-US IMGs were able to match with a score between 211-220. The odds are against you, but you have a chance. The vast majority of these kinds of level one questions can be answered by looking here: https://mk0nrmp3oyqui6wqfm.kinstacd.../Charting-Outcomes-in-the-Match-2018-IMGs.pdf

The problem that others are trying to point out is that those 34% didn't have that step 1 score and a blank app; the ones that matched had other aspects to their application that made up for the sub-par score. A lot depends on what these two jobs are, whether they are in the US or your home country, how much direct patient interaction and thus exposure to the US healthcare system you are receiving, etc. And of course also your step 2 (and hopefully step 3) scores. You are not at the "abandon all hope" stage, but you need the rest of your app to be great.

To answer your very basic question, the answer is yes, you can hope for IM--per charting outcomes, about 34% of non-US IMGs were able to match with a score between 211-220. The odds are against you, but you have a chance. The vast majority of these kinds of level one questions can be answered by looking here: https://mk0nrmp3oyqui6wqfm.kinstacd.../Charting-Outcomes-in-the-Match-2018-IMGs.pdf

The problem that others are trying to point out is that those 34% didn't have that step 1 score and a blank app; the ones that matched had other aspects to their application that made up for the sub-par score. A lot depends on what these two jobs are, whether they are in the US or your home country, how much direct patient interaction and thus exposure to the US healthcare system you are receiving, etc. And of course also your step 2 (and hopefully step 3) scores. You are not at the "abandon all hope" stage, but you need the rest of your app to be great.
Thank you for your advice :)